From: Jolly Roger on
In article <1J6dndi3sOy0baXRnZ2dnUVZ_vWdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
Ed Anson <EdAnson(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> As sometimes happens, just asking about a problem seems to have fixed
> it. Or maybe it just needed a lonnnnnggggg time to index the backup.
> Anyway, the backup is working now. In fact, it now shows "Finishing
> backup..."
>
> BTW: I am aware that wiping out my backup and starting over is always an
> option -- something like the nuclear option. I would really hate to lose
> more than a year of backup history. I do sometimes like to go back to a
> previous version of something, which is part of why I chose to use Time
> Machine as part of my backup strategy.
>
> Thanks again for your help. It's as though just talking about it made
> the problem go away. Or do you have another idea about what was
> happening? [I'm just curious now.]
>
> /Ed

It' really hard to say without knowing the full history of what
happened. The only way to know that would be to examine all log entries
all the way back to the beginning of the problem, which obviously can't
be done. It's a mystery! Best thing to do in the future is start
capturing and examining log entries at the very first sign of trouble.

JR
From: Paul Sture on
In article <8KydncNIK_tnSqXRnZ2dnUVZ_qadnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
Ed Anson <EdAnson(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> 7/10/10 3:31:05 PM com.apple.backupd[180] Event store UUIDs don't match
> for volume: Macintosh HD
> 7/10/10 3:31:11 PM com.apple.backupd[180] Node requires deep traversal:/
> reason:must scan subdirs|new event db|

Whenever I get the "UUID's don't match" message it is always followed by
a deep traversal. I don't understand the mechanism if a deep traversal,
but what it is saying is "I don't trust something here, so I'm going to
double check".

This typically takes a long time.

I've seen this after a system crash/hang where I've powered off while
Time Machine was busy doing something, and when I had a power cut and
the MacBook carried on running on battery, but the external Time Machine
disk lost power.

--
Paul Sture
From: Ed Anson on
Paul Sture wrote:
> In article <8KydncNIK_tnSqXRnZ2dnUVZ_qadnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
> Ed Anson <EdAnson(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> 7/10/10 3:31:05 PM com.apple.backupd[180] Event store UUIDs don't match
>> for volume: Macintosh HD
>> 7/10/10 3:31:11 PM com.apple.backupd[180] Node requires deep traversal:/
>> reason:must scan subdirs|new event db|
>
> Whenever I get the "UUID's don't match" message it is always followed by
> a deep traversal. I don't understand the mechanism if a deep traversal,
> but what it is saying is "I don't trust something here, so I'm going to
> double check".
>
> This typically takes a long time.
>
> I've seen this after a system crash/hang where I've powered off while
> Time Machine was busy doing something, and when I had a power cut and
> the MacBook carried on running on battery, but the external Time Machine
> disk lost power.

Maybe that's what happened to me. We did have a brief power outage the
other day. It is possible (but I'm not sure) that my MBP had been put to
sleep in the midst of a backup before the outage.

But I've seen deep traversals before. They usually don't take that long.
But then my backup set is getting larger all the time. Who knows?

Thanks.

Ed
From: Ed Anson on
Jolly Roger wrote:
> In article <1J6dndi3sOy0baXRnZ2dnUVZ_vWdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
> Ed Anson <EdAnson(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> As sometimes happens, just asking about a problem seems to have fixed
>> it. Or maybe it just needed a lonnnnnggggg time to index the backup.
>> Anyway, the backup is working now. In fact, it now shows "Finishing
>> backup..."
>>
>> BTW: I am aware that wiping out my backup and starting over is always an
>> option -- something like the nuclear option. I would really hate to lose
>> more than a year of backup history. I do sometimes like to go back to a
>> previous version of something, which is part of why I chose to use Time
>> Machine as part of my backup strategy.
>>
>> Thanks again for your help. It's as though just talking about it made
>> the problem go away. Or do you have another idea about what was
>> happening? [I'm just curious now.]
>>
>> /Ed
>
> It' really hard to say without knowing the full history of what
> happened. The only way to know that would be to examine all log entries
> all the way back to the beginning of the problem, which obviously can't
> be done. It's a mystery! Best thing to do in the future is start
> capturing and examining log entries at the very first sign of trouble.

Thanks. That's good advice. I'll try to remember that if it ever happens
again.

/Ed
From: Paul Sture on
In article <o7CdnRNTZqXJZKTRnZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
Ed Anson <EdAnson(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> Paul Sture wrote:
> > In article <8KydncNIK_tnSqXRnZ2dnUVZ_qadnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
> > Ed Anson <EdAnson(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> 7/10/10 3:31:05 PM com.apple.backupd[180] Event store UUIDs don't match
> >> for volume: Macintosh HD
> >> 7/10/10 3:31:11 PM com.apple.backupd[180] Node requires deep traversal:/
> >> reason:must scan subdirs|new event db|
> >
> > Whenever I get the "UUID's don't match" message it is always followed by
> > a deep traversal. I don't understand the mechanism if a deep traversal,
> > but what it is saying is "I don't trust something here, so I'm going to
> > double check".
> >
> > This typically takes a long time.
> >
> > I've seen this after a system crash/hang where I've powered off while
> > Time Machine was busy doing something, and when I had a power cut and
> > the MacBook carried on running on battery, but the external Time Machine
> > disk lost power.
> >

> Maybe that's what happened to me. We did have a brief power outage the
> other day. It is possible (but I'm not sure) that my MBP had been put to
> sleep in the midst of a backup before the outage.
>
> But I've seen deep traversals before. They usually don't take that long.
> But then my backup set is getting larger all the time. Who knows?

The first deep traversals I saw seemed to last forever, but more recent
ones have been relatively swift. I suppose it depends at what point a
failure occurred.

--
Paul Sture