From: Ed Anson on
I started a TimeMachine backup to my Time Capsule yesterday. Its status
still says "Idexing backup..."

I tried restarting my Mac. I tried cycling power on the Time Capsule.
Then I restarted the backup and (hours later) it is again stuck in
Indexing backup...

The console just keeps repeating the following:

7/9/10 9:12:44 PM com.apple.backupd[386] Waiting for index to be ready (100)

Does anyone have a clue about what is happening and what I can do about it?

TIA

Ed
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <TPOdnchr5-t-SarRnZ2dnUVZ_g-dnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
Ed Anson <EdAnson(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> I started a TimeMachine backup to my Time Capsule yesterday. Its status
> still says "Idexing backup..."
>
> I tried restarting my Mac. I tried cycling power on the Time Capsule.
> Then I restarted the backup and (hours later) it is again stuck in
> Indexing backup...
>
> The console just keeps repeating the following:
>
> 7/9/10 9:12:44 PM com.apple.backupd[386] Waiting for index to be ready (100)
>

> Does anyone have a clue about what is happening and what I can do about it?
>
> TIA
>
> Ed

Look at all the other com.apple.backupd messages in the console, to see
if any of them have the word "Error" in them. If so, post the relevant
lines here.

JR
From: Ed Anson on
Jolly Roger wrote:
> In article <TPOdnchr5-t-SarRnZ2dnUVZ_g-dnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
> Ed Anson <EdAnson(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I started a TimeMachine backup to my Time Capsule yesterday. Its status
>> still says "Idexing backup..."
>>
>> I tried restarting my Mac. I tried cycling power on the Time Capsule.
>> Then I restarted the backup and (hours later) it is again stuck in
>> Indexing backup...
>>
>> The console just keeps repeating the following:
>>
>> 7/9/10 9:12:44 PM com.apple.backupd[386] Waiting for index to be ready (100)
>>

>> Does anyone have a clue about what is happening and what I can do about it?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Ed
>
> Look at all the other com.apple.backupd messages in the console, to see
> if any of them have the word "Error" in them. If so, post the relevant
> lines here.

Thanks, Jolly.

Here are all the backupd messages for the current backup attempt:

7/10/10 3:30:55 PM com.apple.backupd[180] Backing up to: /Volumes/Backup
of Ed’s MacBook Pro/Backups.backupdb
7/10/10 3:31:05 PM com.apple.launchd[1]
(com.apple.netauth.sysagent[181]) Exited with exit code: 255
7/10/10 3:31:05 PM com.apple.backupd[180] Event store UUIDs don't match
for volume: Macintosh HD
7/10/10 3:31:11 PM com.apple.backupd[180] Node requires deep traversal:/
reason:must scan subdirs|new event db|
7/10/10 3:37:01 PM com.apple.backupd[180] No pre-backup thinning needed:
3.69 GB requested (including padding), 471.39 GB available

Note that the last entry was at 3:37:01 PM. It is now 4:26 PM and the
status still shows "Indexing backup..."

BTW: I left in one message that isn't necessarily related, but it seems
to show up whenever I start a backup.

/Ed
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <8KydncNIK_tnSqXRnZ2dnUVZ_qadnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
Ed Anson <EdAnson(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> Jolly Roger wrote:
> > In article <TPOdnchr5-t-SarRnZ2dnUVZ_g-dnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
> > Ed Anson <EdAnson(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I started a TimeMachine backup to my Time Capsule yesterday. Its status
> >> still says "Idexing backup..."
> >>
> >> I tried restarting my Mac. I tried cycling power on the Time Capsule.
> >> Then I restarted the backup and (hours later) it is again stuck in
> >> Indexing backup...
> >>
> >> The console just keeps repeating the following:
> >>
> >> 7/9/10 9:12:44 PM com.apple.backupd[386] Waiting for index to be ready
> >> (100)
> >>

> >> Does anyone have a clue about what is happening and what I can do about
> >> it?
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>
> >> Ed
> >
> > Look at all the other com.apple.backupd messages in the console, to see
> > if any of them have the word "Error" in them. If so, post the relevant
> > lines here.
> >

> Thanks, Jolly.
>
> Here are all the backupd messages for the current backup attempt:
>
> 7/10/10 3:30:55 PM com.apple.backupd[180] Backing up to: /Volumes/Backup
> of Ed�s MacBook Pro/Backups.backupdb
> 7/10/10 3:31:05 PM com.apple.launchd[1]
> (com.apple.netauth.sysagent[181]) Exited with exit code: 255
> 7/10/10 3:31:05 PM com.apple.backupd[180] Event store UUIDs don't match
> for volume: Macintosh HD
> 7/10/10 3:31:11 PM com.apple.backupd[180] Node requires deep traversal:/
> reason:must scan subdirs|new event db|
> 7/10/10 3:37:01 PM com.apple.backupd[180] No pre-backup thinning needed:
> 3.69 GB requested (including padding), 471.39 GB available
>
> Note that the last entry was at 3:37:01 PM. It is now 4:26 PM and the
> status still shows "Indexing backup..."
>
> BTW: I left in one message that isn't necessarily related, but it seems
> to show up whenever I start a backup.
>
> /Ed

Are you looking at the system.log file specifically? That's usually
where Time Machine logs file-level error messages.

A quick solution to the problem may be to delete the existing Time
Machine backup at /Volumes/Backup of Ed�s MacBook Pro/Backups.backupdb
and start a new backup.

JR
From: Ed Anson on
Jolly Roger wrote:
> In article <8KydncNIK_tnSqXRnZ2dnUVZ_qadnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
> Ed Anson <EdAnson(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> Look at all the other com.apple.backupd messages in the console, to see
>>> if any of them have the word "Error" in them. If so, post the relevant
>>> lines here.
>>>
>> Thanks, Jolly.
>>
>> Here are all the backupd messages for the current backup attempt:
>>
>> 7/10/10 3:30:55 PM com.apple.backupd[180] Backing up to: /Volumes/Backup
>> of Ed¹s MacBook Pro/Backups.backupdb
>> 7/10/10 3:31:05 PM com.apple.launchd[1]
>> (com.apple.netauth.sysagent[181]) Exited with exit code: 255
>> 7/10/10 3:31:05 PM com.apple.backupd[180] Event store UUIDs don't match
>> for volume: Macintosh HD
>> 7/10/10 3:31:11 PM com.apple.backupd[180] Node requires deep traversal:/
>> reason:must scan subdirs|new event db|
>> 7/10/10 3:37:01 PM com.apple.backupd[180] No pre-backup thinning needed:
>> 3.69 GB requested (including padding), 471.39 GB available
>>
>> Note that the last entry was at 3:37:01 PM. It is now 4:26 PM and the
>> status still shows "Indexing backup..."
>>
>> BTW: I left in one message that isn't necessarily related, but it seems
>> to show up whenever I start a backup.
>>
>> /Ed
>
> Are you looking at the system.log file specifically? That's usually
> where Time Machine logs file-level error messages.
>
> A quick solution to the problem may be to delete the existing Time
> Machine backup at /Volumes/Backup of Ed¹s MacBook Pro/Backups.backupdb
> and start a new backup.

As sometimes happens, just asking about a problem seems to have fixed
it. Or maybe it just needed a lonnnnnggggg time to index the backup.
Anyway, the backup is working now. In fact, it now shows "Finishing
backup..."

BTW: I am aware that wiping out my backup and starting over is always an
option -- something like the nuclear option. I would really hate to lose
more than a year of backup history. I do sometimes like to go back to a
previous version of something, which is part of why I chose to use Time
Machine as part of my backup strategy.

Thanks again for your help. It's as though just talking about it made
the problem go away. Or do you have another idea about what was
happening? [I'm just curious now.]

/Ed