From: 105 on
Hi

I have shell scripts to backup scheduled FileMaker Server database
backups, to a different (user accessible ) directory. The directory is
currently Users/Shared, but usb external hard drive and LAN directories
will be targeted once the rest of the process is running smoothly.

Should I be using a user agent or a user daemon? I have read through

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/technotes/tn2005/tn2083.html

but still unsure. I am assuming a launchd, as the server normally runs
without a user account being logged in to. Using Lingon to create the
lauchd file.
From: David Empson on
105 <cortical(a)internode.on.net> wrote:

> I have shell scripts to backup scheduled FileMaker Server database
> backups, to a different (user accessible ) directory. The directory is
> currently Users/Shared, but usb external hard drive and LAN directories
> will be targeted once the rest of the process is running smoothly.
>

> Should I be using a user agent or a user daemon? I have read through
>
> http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/technotes/tn2005/tn2083.html
>

> but still unsure. I am assuming a launchd, as the server normally runs
> without a user account being logged in to. Using Lingon to create the
> lauchd file.

"launchd" is the name of the system component which runs both launch
agents and launch daemons.

If the server can run with nobody logged in, then you should be setting
up a launch daemon, located in /Library/LaunchDaemons.

Launch agents only run while a user is logged in.

I assume your FileMaker Server is set up to backup its databases
automatically, and your script is then copying the backups saved by
FileMaker Server.

You can't directly copy a FileMaker database while it is open in
FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Server.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: 105 on
On 10/07/10 3:07 PM, David Empson wrote:
> 105<cortical(a)internode.on.net> wrote:
>
>> I have shell scripts to backup scheduled FileMaker Server database
>> backups, to a different (user accessible ) directory. The directory is
>> currently Users/Shared, but usb external hard drive and LAN directories
>> will be targeted once the rest of the process is running smoothly.
>>

>> Should I be using a user agent or a user daemon? I have read through
>>
>> http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/technotes/tn2005/tn2083.html
>>

>> but still unsure. I am assuming a launchd, as the server normally runs
>> without a user account being logged in to. Using Lingon to create the
>> lauchd file.
>
> "launchd" is the name of the system component which runs both launch
> agents and launch daemons.

get that

> If the server can run with nobody logged in, then you should be setting
> up a launch daemon, located in /Library/LaunchDaemons.

that confirms what I assumed was the case. Wanted to confirm.

> Launch agents only run while a user is logged in.
>
> I assume your FileMaker Server is set up to backup its databases
> automatically, and your script is then copying the backups saved by
> FileMaker Server.

yes

> You can't directly copy a FileMaker database while it is open in
> FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Server.

yes, quite so.

thanks David

Pages: 1