From: Rod Speed on
Ant wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Is bad block same as bad cluster (OS side)?

>> Yes. Is mostly MS OSs that call them clusters.

> Ah OK. I guess there was no bad sector then on that old HDD then.

Or there was a bad sector and the drive fixed it.

From: Ant on
On 10/12/2009 2:04 AM PT, Rod Speed typed:

>>> Yes. Is mostly MS OSs that call them clusters.
>
>> Ah OK. I guess there was no bad sector then on that old HDD then.
>
> Or there was a bad sector and the drive fixed it.

If there was a bad sector, wouldn't I see a bad sector shown in chkdsk?
Hmm, maybe I should run SpinRite v5 on that HDD later.
--
"He who runs from the white ant may stumble upon the stinging ant."
--Nigeria
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi(a)earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANTant(a)zimage.com
From: Rod Speed on
Ant wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Ah OK. I guess there was no bad sector then on that old HDD then.

>> Or there was a bad sector and the drive fixed it.

> If there was a bad sector, wouldn't I see a bad sector shown in chkdsk?

Not necessarily. They arent necessarily always bad for every read.

> Hmm, maybe I should run SpinRite v5 on that HDD later.

Its completely useless now.

The only thing that makes any sense anymore is the SMART data.

From: Arno on
Ant <ant(a)zimage.comant> wrote:
> On 10/5/2009 12:02 AM PT, Ant typed:

>>> So sectors is on the hardware and the low-level drivesr,
>>> while clusters is in the (abstract) filesystem layer.
>>
>> Thanks! That makes more sense to me now. I did notice the updated
>> Windows 2000 SP4's chkdsk /r /f said it found a bad cluster (think it
>> was TIF file but can't remember and didn't watch the long chkdsk --
>> wished it had logging feature or paused to tell me the results before
>> going back to Windows) and fixed it (moved it). Then, I did a normal
>> chkdsk.exe in Windows 2000 session's cmd.exe but it didn't show any bad
>> sectors (0 KB). I was confused there.

> Is bad block same as bad cluster (OS side)?

Not quite. Low level there are no clusters. And high-level (filesystem)
a bad cluster is a cluster (e.g. 4kB) with a bad sector in it (512B)

Arno
From: Ant on
On 10/12/2009 12:00 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:

>> Hmm, maybe I should run SpinRite v5 on that HDD later.
>
> Its completely useless now.

Really? How so? I remember using it in the past and finding bad sectors.

> The only thing that makes any sense anymore is the SMART data.

--
"It is said that the lonely eagle flies to the mountain peaks while the
lowly ant crawls the ground, but cannot the soul of the ant soar as high