From: Rod Speed on
Ant wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Hmm, maybe I should run SpinRite v5 on that HDD later.

>> Its completely useless now.

> Really? How so?

What it claims to be doing isnt even possible with modern hard drives.

> I remember using it in the past and finding bad sectors.

A SMART scan does that much better.

From: Arno on
Ant <ant(a)zimage.comant> wrote:
> On 10/12/2009 12:00 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:

>>> Hmm, maybe I should run SpinRite v5 on that HDD later.
>>
>> Its completely useless now.

> Really? How so? I remember using it in the past and finding bad sectors.

SpinRite does find bad sectors, but not more or others than
a long SMART selftest. Before disk selftests SpinRite had its
justification. Today it has none.

Arno

From: Ant on
On 10/12/2009 10:39 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:

> Ant wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Its completely useless now.
>
>> Really? How so?
>
> What it claims to be doing isnt even possible with modern hard drives.

How old were the the modern HDDs started? I can't remember when SMART
started. I think my former Quantum Fireball 6.4 GB EIDE HDD had a simple
SMART.

>> I remember using it in the past and finding bad sectors.
>
> A SMART scan does that much better.

OK.
--
"Above ground I shall be food for kites; below I shall be food for
mole-crickets and ants. Why rob one to feed the other?" --Juang-zu (4th
From: Ant on
On 10/13/2009 6:41 AM PT, Arno typed:

>>> Its completely useless now.
>
>> Really? How so? I remember using it in the past and finding bad sectors.
>
> SpinRite does find bad sectors, but not more or others than
> a long SMART selftest. Before disk selftests SpinRite had its
> justification. Today it has none.

OK, I have used smartctl's long tests before. I assume that was enough
to find them.
--
"What reason, like the careful ant, draws laboriously together, the wind
of accident sometimes collects in a moment." --Friedrich von Schiller
From: Rod Speed on
Ant wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Ant wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Really? How so?

>> What it claims to be doing isnt even possible with modern hard drives.

> How old were the the modern HDDs started?

The last time what it claims to be able to do was possible was
with stepper motor head actuator drives, mostly MFM and RLL
and a very few of the first IDEs.

> I can't remember when SMART started.

That varied with the manufacturer.

> I think my former Quantum Fireball 6.4 GB EIDE HDD had a simple SMART.

Yeah, most of that era did.