From: Arno on
Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
> Ant wrote:
>> It sounds SpinRite v6 is still useful. Am I missing something?

> A lot of SpinRite's claims are simply marketing. That's all you're missing.

> Yousuf Khan

Good summary.

Arno
From: Ant on
On 10/18/2009 4:04 PM PT, Arno typed:

> Incidentially several other tools will run regular surface
> scans, and they are critical for early problem detection.

Thanks. Does Smartctl's long tests do surface scans?
--
"Ant colonies are remarkably similar to cities. No one choreographs the
action, not even the queen ant, but ant behavior is controlled by swarm
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi(a)earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANTant(a)zimage.com
From: Ant on
On 10/18/2009 11:40 PM PT, Arno typed:

> Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Ant wrote:
>>> It sounds SpinRite v6 is still useful. Am I missing something?
>
>> A lot of SpinRite's claims are simply marketing. That's all you're missing.
>
>> Yousuf Khan
>
> Good summary.

Thanks all. Someone should update Wikipedia's datas too.
From: Arno on
Ant <ant(a)zimage.comant> wrote:
> On 10/18/2009 4:04 PM PT, Arno typed:

>> Incidentially several other tools will run regular surface
>> scans, and they are critical for early problem detection.

> Thanks. Does Smartctl's long tests do surface scans?

Yes. I meant you can shedule them to run automatically at set
intervalls. Smartctl cannot do that, but the smartd in the
same package can and at least n Debian does as default.

Arno
From: bbbl67 on
On Oct 19, 9:46 am, Ant <a...(a)zimage.comANT> wrote:
> Thanks all. Someone should update Wikipedia's datas too.

Ouch! It looks like there is a war going on within that Wiki article's
talk section. Almost as bad as any war that goes on in here. :-)

Yousuf Khan