From: jgreen on
Paul,
Please explain the following:
3 identical atomic clocks are used-
One is connected to the bottom of, and counts the revolutions of, a
very tall axle (vertical to earth surface); one is connected to the top
and counts; one is at the top, but unconnected.
Are all the clocks going to agree on the revs completed?
If not, how large a torque will ensue??

From: sue jahn on

"Henri Wilson" <H@..> wrote in message news:9plie1tndumga3o0ph4kme8uo9sbh3k6cr(a)4ax.com...
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:10:03 +0200, "Paul B. Andersen"
> <paul.b.andersen(a)deletethishia.no> wrote:

snip

> Paul, I'm sure you weren't quite this confused before your recent holiday.

Henri,
The sad thing is that Bz and Andersen are better equipped than most
posters to understand the wave impedance problems with Maxwell's
equations but they would rather blindly follow the "high priests"
of time travel than get to the bottom of the issue. :-(

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.
--Albert Einstein

Proven fact is the collection of prejudices acquired by age fourty.
--Somebody smarter than Albert Einstein

Sue...

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em1/lectures/node46.html
http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0204034
http://www.ifi.unicamp.br/~assis/wpapers.htm
http://www.conformity.com/0102reflections.html

From: Paul B. Andersen on
sue jahn wrote:
> "Paul B. Andersen" <paul.b.andersen(a)deletethishia.no> wrote in message news:dc8k86$dng$1(a)dolly.uninett.no...
>
>>Why do you claim that the GPS indicates a violation of
>>the Local Position Invariance principle?
>

> Because the SV clocks are not invariant with position
> and fixed length paths can't blue shift to explain the
> need for launch presets.

Please explain the statement:
"SV clocks are not invariant with position".
Do you mean that the intrinsic clock rate is
dependent on position?
In that case you should explain why you think GPS prove so.

And please explain the statement:
"fixed length paths can't blue shift"
Does it mean that there was no blue (or red) shift
in the Pound-Rebka experiment?
Or what does it mean?

> Since we can't fly fountains or free-fall SVs:
>
> << This very accurate space clock will be compared
> continuously to the SUMO oscillator, and these two clocks
> (being fundamentally different) [no mass] will provide a test of "local
> position invariance." Comparisons between the space and
> earth clocks will yield a related, but important measurement
> of the gravitational [*] frequency[*] shift. [not redshift]
> http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/cesium/parcs.htm

Exactly.
Two different type of clocks _at the same location_
can test the LPI, which obviously say that the two clocks
should stay in sync at any location.

But what did you mean by this comment?
Sue wrote:
| So... Cliff knows that the SUMO has to do something
| really unexpected or the violation of LPI indicated
| by GPS, will be confirmed.

The expected result is obviously that the two clocks
will stay in sync and thus confirm the LPI.
So why did you say that the SUMO clock has to do
something really unexpected to confirm the LPI?

Paul
From: Paul B. Andersen on

Henri Wilson wrote:
| .....and yes, molecules in rare space DO tend to unify the speed of all light
| traveling in any particular direction. All light is redshifted in the process.

.... ARE TWO DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT EFFECTS ?

and these two effects are that all light coming from the same direction
is going at the same speed, but since light is slowed down as it goes,
some of the light coming from the same direction may go slower than
other light from that direction.

Have I got it now?

Paul
From: sue jahn on

"Paul B. Andersen" <paul.b.andersen(a)deletethishia.no> wrote in message news:dccsm4$d10$1(a)dolly.uninett.no...
> sue jahn wrote:
> > "Paul B. Andersen" <paul.b.andersen(a)deletethishia.no> wrote in message news:dc8k86$dng$1(a)dolly.uninett.no...
> >
> >>Why do you claim that the GPS indicates a violation of
> >>the Local Position Invariance principle?
> >

> > Because the SV clocks are not invariant with position
> > and fixed length paths can't blue shift to explain the
> > need for launch presets.
>
> Please explain the statement:
> "SV clocks are not invariant with position".

You may read about the launch presets in either
Ashby or Will's papers. You can find them at
living reviews or Will's web page.

> Do you mean that the intrinsic clock rate is
> dependent on position?

That is what Newton's second law predicts for the
proton and electron mass. That is what the launch
preset includes.

> In that case you should explain why you think GPS prove so.

The launch preset for gravitational *frequency* shift
would be unnecessary if that were not true.

> And please explain the statement:
> "fixed length paths can't blue shift"

A catcher cannot catch 31 balls per minute if the
pitcher is only throwing 30 balls per minute.
Causality violation.
> Does it mean that there was no blue (or red) shift
> in the Pound-Rebka experiment?
Correct.
The Pound-Snider paper urged caution and defered
the interpretation to more accurate clocks.
The GPS system IS the more accurate clocks
and the launch presets show the correct interpretation
of PR and GP-B.
http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/9907017
> Or what does it mean?
>

> > Since we can't fly fountains or free-fall SVs:
> >
> > << This very accurate space clock will be compared
> > continuously to the SUMO oscillator, and these two clocks
> > (being fundamentally different) [no mass] will provide a test of "local
> > position invariance." Comparisons between the space and
> > earth clocks will yield a related, but important measurement
> > of the gravitational [*] frequency[*] shift. [not redshift]
> > http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/cesium/parcs.htm
>
> Exactly.
> Two different type of clocks _at the same location_
> can test the LPI, which obviously say that the two clocks
> should stay in sync at any location.
>
> But what did you mean by this comment?
> Sue wrote:
> | So... Cliff knows that the SUMO has to do something
> | really unexpected or the violation of LPI indicated
> | by GPS, will be confirmed.
>
> The expected result is obviously that the two clocks
> will stay in sync and thus confirm the LPI.
> So why did you say that the SUMO clock has to do
> something really unexpected to confirm the LPI?
The SUMO does not have proton and electron masses
to couple to the earth's gravity. (hyperfine transition)
There is no reason it should change with altitude as atomic
clocks do.
<< In the SCSO measurements, earth tides were easily
observable at the 10-14 frequency variation level, in
agreement with model calculations. The sensitivity of the
cavity frequency to variations in acceleration can be reduced
significantly by supporting the cavity from its center, therefore
compensating any change in the length of the top half with an
opposite change in the bottom half.
http://bigben.stanford.edu/sumo/status.htm

A real experiment should close the circle on the LPI
issue.

Sue...