From: Rod Speed on
GMAN wrote
> JimR <NoNotReally(a)notmyemail.com> wrote

>> What is the difference between a bare drive vs. one that
>> appears to be in consumer packaging? Is it just the packaging.
>> For 5 bux difference, I can skip the glossy box.

> Alot of times the bare drive only has a warranty thru who sold it to you.

Hardly ever, actually.

> In other words, if it was a bare drive meant to be installed in dell computers or
> a manufacturer, and you buy that drive from some street vender or strip mall store,
> you might be out of luck if they go out of business or dont backup their drives.

And that hardly ever is the case.

> If you buy a retail package drive , you get the full warranty of the manufacturer.

You do with bare drives most of the time too.

From: GMAN on
In article <COydnQqsjNZcwIDRnZ2dnUVZ_hidnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, "Ian D" <taurus(a)nowhereatall.com> wrote:

>"GMAN" <Winniethepooh(a)100acrewoods.org> wrote in message
>> In article <7prte7-hjd.ln1(a)oneyv.dyndns.org>, JimR
>> <NoNotReally(a)notmyemail.com> wrote:
>>>What is the difference between a bare drive vs. one that appears to be
>>>in consumer packaging? Is it just the packaging. For 5 bux difference,
>>>I can skip the glossy box.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>JimR
>> Alot of times the bare drive only has a warranty thru who sold it to you.
>> In
>> other words, if it was a bare drive meant to be installed in dell
>> computers or
>> a manufacturer, and you buy that drive from some street vender or strip
>> mall
>> store, you might be out of luck if they go out of business or dont backup
>> their drives. If you buy a retail package drive , you get the full
>> warranty of
>> the manufacturer.
>>

>Actually, it's sort of the opposite. For warranty, it's best to buy
>an OEM drive. Taking Western Digital for instance, the OEM
>drives usually have 3 to 5 year warrantees. The same drive in
>a retail package from a big box retailer will only have a one year
>warranty. In both cases the warranty is directly through WD,
>as it is for the other HD manufacturers. Also, an HD warranty
>is usually based on the date of manufacturer, with a bit extra for
>distribution channel time.

NO, in the USA, the retail boxed drive is more likely to have a larger
warranty. If the drive is sold at a small reseller, in just a plain plastic
pouch, THEY usually have NO manufacturers warranty. Most say right on the
drive that they are only warranted thru the rebuilder.

>A drive bought from a big box may have been sitting on the shelf,
>or in their warehouse for months, whereas OEM drives from small
>computer stores are usually current stock. Any OEM drives I've
>bought from smaller retailers have usually been manufactured
>within the preceeding two months. Smaller operations usually
>carry minimal stock, and reorder frequently as needed.

Read me what the label says on that drive, i bet it says its only warranted
thru the reseller.

When companies like Dell, HP and others buy theese drives for their systems,
THEY are then the ones who warranty them. Seagate or WD wont cover them.

>WD has a utility on their sit where you can enter a drive's serial
>number to get the warranty expiry date.

And in certain states like Utah, the warranty starts when the drive or product
is bought. They cant say that you have lost 6 months off the warranty just
because it has sat there that long at Best Buy.
From: Ian D on

> In article <COydnQqsjNZcwIDRnZ2dnUVZ_hidnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, "Ian D"
> <taurus(a)nowhereatall.com> wrote:
>>
>>"GMAN" <Winniethepooh(a)100acrewoods.org> wrote in message

>>> Alot of times the bare drive only has a warranty thru who sold it to
>>> you.
>>> In
>>> other words, if it was a bare drive meant to be installed in dell
>>> computers or
>>> a manufacturer, and you buy that drive from some street vender or strip
>>> mall
>>> store, you might be out of luck if they go out of business or dont
>>> backup
>>> their drives. If you buy a retail package drive , you get the full
>>> warranty of
>>> the manufacturer.
>>>

>>Actually, it's sort of the opposite. For warranty, it's best to buy
>>an OEM drive. Taking Western Digital for instance, the OEM
>>drives usually have 3 to 5 year warrantees. The same drive in
>>a retail package from a big box retailer will only have a one year
>>warranty. In both cases the warranty is directly through WD,
>>as it is for the other HD manufacturers. Also, an HD warranty
>>is usually based on the date of manufacturer, with a bit extra for
>>distribution channel time.
>
> NO, in the USA, the retail boxed drive is more likely to have a larger
> warranty. If the drive is sold at a small reseller, in just a plain
> plastic
> pouch, THEY usually have NO manufacturers warranty. Most say right on the
> drive that they are only warranted thru the rebuilder.
>

>>A drive bought from a big box may have been sitting on the shelf,
>>or in their warehouse for months, whereas OEM drives from small
>>computer stores are usually current stock. Any OEM drives I've
>>bought from smaller retailers have usually been manufactured
>>within the preceeding two months. Smaller operations usually
>>carry minimal stock, and reorder frequently as needed.
>
> Read me what the label says on that drive, i bet it says its only
> warranted
> thru the reseller.
>
> When companies like Dell, HP and others buy theese drives for their
> systems,
> THEY are then the ones who warranty them. Seagate or WD wont cover them.
>

>>WD has a utility on their sit where you can enter a drive's serial
>>number to get the warranty expiry date.
>>

> And in certain states like Utah, the warranty starts when the drive or
> product
> is bought. They cant say that you have lost 6 months off the warranty just
> because it has sat there that long at Best Buy.

Western Digital drives are warranteed directly by them. If
you have a problem with a WD drive, you go to their website
and get an RMA number. You send the drive to them, and
when they confirm it's defective, they send you a new, or
refurbed drive. At the low cost of drives, a lot of users don't
bother with all this, and just buy a new drive. The only drive
I've ever had fail was a WD 2.5GB that failed after 12 years.

I just noticed that the newer WD retail drives, such as the 1TB
Caviar Black have the same 5 year warranty as the OEM. As
far as sitting on the shelf at a store is concerned, the full warranty
will still most likely be available, as the built in lead time can be
up to six months. I just bought a WD drive that has a 5 1/2 year
warrantee period from the date of manufacture, and that was only
one month prior to the date of purchase, so I have 5 months
extra warranty.

From: 234 on
Ed Light wrote

> Nearly everyone has Roddy filtered out.

How odd that so many reply to my posts, you stupid lying fuckwit.