From: JimR on
What is the difference between a bare drive vs. one that appears to be
in consumer packaging? Is it just the packaging. For 5 bux difference,
I can skip the glossy box.

Thanks,
JimR
From: Rod Speed on
JimR wrote:

> What is the difference between a bare drive vs. one that appears to be in consumer packaging?

Just some basics like screws and a jumper diagram usually.

> Is it just the packaging.

Pretty much.

> For 5 bux difference, I can skip the glossy box.

Yeah, its no use to you.

From: Arno on
JimR <NoNotReally(a)notmyemail.com> wrote:
> What is the difference between a bare drive vs. one that appears to be
> in consumer packaging? Is it just the packaging. For 5 bux difference,
> I can skip the glossy box.

No difference in the drive, however you mau get different
warranty periods and you may get mounting material and/or
extra software with the drive in a box. Usually not worth
the price difference.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: GMAN on
In article <7prte7-hjd.ln1(a)oneyv.dyndns.org>, JimR <NoNotReally(a)notmyemail.com> wrote:
>What is the difference between a bare drive vs. one that appears to be
>in consumer packaging? Is it just the packaging. For 5 bux difference,
>I can skip the glossy box.
>
>Thanks,
>JimR
Alot of times the bare drive only has a warranty thru who sold it to you. In
other words, if it was a bare drive meant to be installed in dell computers or
a manufacturer, and you buy that drive from some street vender or strip mall
store, you might be out of luck if they go out of business or dont backup
their drives. If you buy a retail package drive , you get the full warranty of
the manufacturer.

From: Ian D on

"GMAN" <Winniethepooh(a)100acrewoods.org> wrote in message
> In article <7prte7-hjd.ln1(a)oneyv.dyndns.org>, JimR
> <NoNotReally(a)notmyemail.com> wrote:
>>What is the difference between a bare drive vs. one that appears to be
>>in consumer packaging? Is it just the packaging. For 5 bux difference,
>>I can skip the glossy box.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>JimR
> Alot of times the bare drive only has a warranty thru who sold it to you.
> In
> other words, if it was a bare drive meant to be installed in dell
> computers or
> a manufacturer, and you buy that drive from some street vender or strip
> mall
> store, you might be out of luck if they go out of business or dont backup
> their drives. If you buy a retail package drive , you get the full
> warranty of
> the manufacturer.

Actually, it's sort of the opposite. For warranty, it's best to buy
an OEM drive. Taking Western Digital for instance, the OEM
drives usually have 3 to 5 year warrantees. The same drive in
a retail package from a big box retailer will only have a one year
warranty. In both cases the warranty is directly through WD,
as it is for the other HD manufacturers. Also, an HD warranty
is usually based on the date of manufacturer, with a bit extra for
distribution channel time.

A drive bought from a big box may have been sitting on the shelf,
or in their warehouse for months, whereas OEM drives from small
computer stores are usually current stock. Any OEM drives I've
bought from smaller retailers have usually been manufactured
within the preceeding two months. Smaller operations usually
carry minimal stock, and reorder frequently as needed.

WD has a utility on their sit where you can enter a drive's serial
number to get the warranty expiry date.