From: Joe on
I looked at USB hard drives at Best Buy the other day- I plan on buying a 1
TB drive. The backup software all seems similar at least from what the boxes
say.

or would it be better to use third party software like Acronis?

My PC has Vista- the backup software with that is extremely minimal.
Joe

From: Lynn McGuire on
> I looked at USB hard drives at Best Buy the other day- I plan on buying a 1 TB drive. The backup software all seems similar at least
> from what the boxes say.
>
> or would it be better to use third party software like Acronis?
>
> My PC has Vista- the backup software with that is extremely minimal.

I use robocopy ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robocopy ) and mirror my
drives onto my backup drive. Here is my backup.bat file on the drive:

mkdir logs
robocopy \\gui1\c gui1_c /s /e /v /r:0 /xj /log:logs\gui1_c.txt /tee
robocopy \\sc\c sc_c /s /e /v /r:0 /xj /log:logs\sc_c.txt /tee
robocopy \\ks\c ks_c /s /e /v /r:0 /xj /log:logs\ks_c.txt /tee
robocopy \\id\c id_c /s /e /v /r:0 /xj /log:logs\id_c.txt /tee
robocopy \\or\c or_c /s /e /v /r:0 /xj /log:logs\or_c.txt /tee
robocopy \\hi\c hi_c /s /e /v /r:0 /xj /log:logs\hi_c.txt /tee
robocopy \\tx\c tx_c /s /e /v /r:0 /xj /log:logs\tx_c.txt /tee
robocopy \\ca\c ca_c /s /e /v /r:0 /xj /log:logs\ca_c.txt /tee
robocopy \\io\c io_c /s /e /v /r:0 /xj /log:logs\io_c.txt /tee
robocopy \\nd\c nd_c /s /e /v /r:0 /xj /log:logs\nd_c.txt /tee
robocopy \\co\c co_c /s /e /v /r:0 /xj /log:logs\co_c.txt /tee
robocopy \\sd\c sd_c /s /e /v /r:0 /xj /log:logs\sd_c.txt /tee
robocopy \\wv\c wv_c /s /e /v /r:0 /xj /log:logs\wv_c.txt /tee
robocopy \\mn\c mn_c /s /e /v /r:0 /xj /log:logs\mn_c.txt /tee
robocopy \\ok\c ok_c /s /e /v /r:0 /xj /log:logs\ok_c.txt /tee
attrib -h -s gui1_c
attrib -h -s sc_c
attrib -h -s ks_c
attrib -h -s id_c
attrib -h -s or_c
attrib -h -s hi_c
attrib -h -s tx_c
attrib -h -s ca_c
attrib -h -s io_c
attrib -h -s nd_c
attrib -h -s co_c
attrib -h -s ok_c
attrib -h -s sd_c
attrib -h -s wv_c
attrib -h -s mn_c
date /t
time /t
echo "" > lasttime
dir
dir logs

Lynn

From: Arno on
Joe <joe(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> I looked at USB hard drives at Best Buy the other day- I plan on buying a 1
> TB drive. The backup software all seems similar at least from what the boxes
> say.

> or would it be better to use third party software like Acronis?

> My PC has Vista- the backup software with that is extremely minimal.
> Joe

It depends on your needs. The backup software coming with these things may
negatively surprise you, better not depend on it.

You can either do something using basic commands like robocopy, rsync,
etc., as Lynn suggests.

Or you buy a full-fleged backup software. If you are going to, a lot
of the available commercial backup software options have fundamental
flaws. TrueImage is one of the few that does well in all regards.

My personal solution is to backup Win 7 with Linux, using ntfscopy
for the NTFS system partition and plain GNU tar for the FAT32
data partitions.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Yousuf Khan on
On 6/16/2010 4:41 AM, Joe wrote:
> I looked at USB hard drives at Best Buy the other day- I plan on buying
> a 1 TB drive. The backup software all seems similar at least from what
> the boxes say.
>
> or would it be better to use third party software like Acronis?
>
> My PC has Vista- the backup software with that is extremely minimal.
> Joe

I use the Windows 7 backup, which I hear is a quantum leap better than
anything that came with Windows before, but I have no idea, as I never
used any of the stuff that came in Windows before. I hear one of my
systems has failed in Canada. I have backed it up with the Windows 7
backup, so once I'm back in Canada I'll know how good it is at restore.
Yeesh, why do these things always happen when you're gone?!

Yousuf Khan
From: Rod Speed on
Joe wrote:

> I looked at USB hard drives at Best Buy the other day- I plan on
> buying a 1 TB drive. The backup software all seems similar at least
> from what the boxes say.

> or would it be better to use third party software like Acronis?

Thats what I prefer, mainly because it give you more capability.

> My PC has Vista- the backup software with that is extremely minimal.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: No good usb portable drives
Next: Bare Drive vs. clothed?