From: Rod Speed on
Yousuf Khan wrote
> Arno wrote
>> Yousuf Khan<bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote

>>> I use the Windows 7 backup, which I hear is a quantum leap better
>>> than anything that came with Windows before, but I have no idea, as
>>> I never used any of the stuff that came in Windows before. I hear
>>> one of my systems has failed in Canada. I have backed it up with
>>> the Windows 7 backup, so once I'm back in Canada I'll know how good
>>> it is at restore. Yeesh, why do these things always happen when
>>> you're gone?!

>> Better entertainment value that way ;-)

>> Seriously, you absolutely need to test the full restore procedure
>> before you need it.

> Problem is testing a full restore of the system disk is in itself a
> dangerous procedure. Better to do it when you got nothing left to lose.

Its actually better to try it with an extra drive you can use for the test.

Hard drives are now so cheap that it doesnt cost much to go that route.

From: Rod Speed on
Joe wrote:
> Well, my concern with Acronis is that- I could figure out how to run
> it to make backups and create an image- but if my drive crashes and I
> need to do a restore- that's when I'm likely to freak out.

> Can it restore an image easily to a larger drive of a different brand?

Yes, completely effortlessly in fact.

> Since the image would contain the boot sector which has info
> about the old drive- if I install the image to a new drive, what
> happens then? Will the new drive boot up properly?

Yes.

> I wish I had a lot of old computers to just experiment with.

You just need one to experiment with, not a lot.

> Years ago I did a fair amount of "geek work" but I've forgotten most of it- and this stuff evolves so quickly I've
> lost my confidence.

Then get another system and experiment with that.

From: Rod Speed on
Bob Willard wrote:
> Joe wrote:
>> Well, my concern with Acronis is that- I could figure out how to run
>> it to make backups and create an image- but if my drive crashes and
>> I need to do a restore- that's when I'm likely to freak out.
>>
>> Can it restore an image easily to a larger drive of a different
>> brand? Since the image would contain the boot sector which has info
>> about the old drive- if I install the image to a new drive, what
>> happens then? Will the new drive boot up properly?
>>
>> I wish I had a lot of old computers to just experiment with.
>>
>> Years ago I did a fair amount of "geek work" but I've forgotten most
>> of it- and this stuff evolves so quickly I've lost my confidence.
>>
>> Joe
>>

> Yes, TI works fine. I've backed up from a large HD and restored to
> a small HD, and I've backed up from a small HD and restored to a
> large HD. And, TI does not care about the HD brand at all.
>
> I can't speak to IDE, since my experience with TI is only with SATA.

It works just as well with IDE drives.

From: Joe on

"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Joe wrote:
>> Well, my concern with Acronis is that- I could figure out how to run
>> it to make backups and create an image- but if my drive crashes and I
>> need to do a restore- that's when I'm likely to freak out.
>
>> Can it restore an image easily to a larger drive of a different brand?
>
> Yes, completely effortlessly in fact.
>
>> Since the image would contain the boot sector which has info
>> about the old drive- if I install the image to a new drive, what
>> happens then? Will the new drive boot up properly?
>
> Yes.

so then what happens to make sure the new drive gets the boot sector
corrected regarding the hard drive info?

From: Rod Speed on
Joe wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote
>> Joe wrote

>>> Well, my concern with Acronis is that- I could figure out how to run
>>> it to make backups and create an image- but if my drive crashes and I need to do a restore- that's when I'm likely
>>> to freak out.

>>> Can it restore an image easily to a larger drive of a different brand?

>> Yes, completely effortlessly in fact.

>>> Since the image would contain the boot sector which has info about the old drive- if I install the image to a new
>>> drive, what happens then? Will the new drive boot up properly?

>> Yes.

> so then what happens to make sure the new drive gets the boot sector corrected regarding the hard drive info?

The restore does that.

>>> I wish I had a lot of old computers to just experiment with.

>> You just need one to experiment with, not a lot.

>>> Years ago I did a fair amount of "geek work" but I've forgotten
>>> most of it- and this stuff evolves so quickly I've lost my confidence.

>> Then get another system and experiment with that.

>>> "edfair" <edfair.4cpf8t(a)no.email.invalid> wrote in message

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: No good usb portable drives
Next: Bare Drive vs. clothed?