From: iws on
On 6/15/2010 3:41 PM, Joe wrote:
> I looked at USB hard drives at Best Buy the other day- I plan on buying
> a 1 TB drive. The backup software all seems similar at least from what
> the boxes say.
>
> or would it be better to use third party software like Acronis?
>
> My PC has Vista- the backup software with that is extremely minimal.
> Joe
True Image has worked well for me. It's fast compared to some simple
ones I've tried. I guess the only disadvantage is the backup is in a
proprietary format.
From: mscotgrove on
On Jun 18, 5:14 am, iws <nos...(a)nospam.com> wrote:
> On 6/15/2010 3:41 PM, Joe wrote:> I looked at USB hard drives at Best Buy the other day- I plan on buying
> > a 1 TB drive. The backup software all seems similar at least from what
> > the boxes say.
>
> > or would it be better to use third party software like Acronis?
>
> > My PC has Vista- the backup software with that is extremely minimal.
> > Joe
>
> True Image has worked well for me. It's fast compared to some simple
> ones I've tried. I guess the only disadvantage is the backup is in a
> proprietary format.

As an additional backup, do investigate online systems. Some are
fully automatic, some unlimited space, all take your data offsite. It
also will cope with power surges, fire, theft etc. Some people are
concerned about security, but for most users it is not critical. The
best solution my mind is both local, as you are looking at, and online
backup.

With any backup, it wants to be as automatic as possible, I often get
customers who say - I haven't done a back up for several weeks.

Michael
www.cnwrecovery.com
From: Yousuf Khan on
On 6/16/2010 9:16 PM, Arno wrote:
> Yousuf Khan<bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I use the Windows 7 backup, which I hear is a quantum leap better than
>> anything that came with Windows before, but I have no idea, as I never
>> used any of the stuff that came in Windows before. I hear one of my
>> systems has failed in Canada. I have backed it up with the Windows 7
>> backup, so once I'm back in Canada I'll know how good it is at restore.
>> Yeesh, why do these things always happen when you're gone?!
>
> Better entertainment value that way ;-)
>
> Seriously, you absolutely need to test the full restore procedure
> before you need it.

Problem is testing a full restore of the system disk is in itself a
dangerous procedure. Better to do it when you got nothing left to lose.

Yousuf Khan
From: Yousuf Khan on

From: David Brown on
On 18/06/2010 08:45, Yousuf Khan wrote:
> On 6/16/2010 9:16 PM, Arno wrote:
>> Yousuf Khan<bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I use the Windows 7 backup, which I hear is a quantum leap better than
>>> anything that came with Windows before, but I have no idea, as I never
>>> used any of the stuff that came in Windows before. I hear one of my
>>> systems has failed in Canada. I have backed it up with the Windows 7
>>> backup, so once I'm back in Canada I'll know how good it is at restore.
>>> Yeesh, why do these things always happen when you're gone?!
>>
>> Better entertainment value that way ;-)
>>
>> Seriously, you absolutely need to test the full restore procedure
>> before you need it.
>
> Problem is testing a full restore of the system disk is in itself a
> dangerous procedure. Better to do it when you got nothing left to lose.

The this "full restore" is not a usable backup system.

If you can't test it, you can't be sure it works properly, and you can't
rely on it.

Full system backup and restores can sometimes be useful - as you say,
when you've nothing left to lose it's worth a try. But it is not a
substitute for a proper backup of your data with a system that you know
works because you have tested it.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: No good usb portable drives