From: Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) on
On 6/16/2010 06:41, Joe wrote:
> I looked at USB hard drives at Best Buy the other day- I plan on buying
> a 1 TB drive. The backup software all seems similar at least from what
> the boxes say.

I know where my data is. So I only use drag-and-drop to copy files, then
use TreeComp to verify by content!
From: Arno on
Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 6/16/2010 4:41 AM, Joe wrote:
>> I looked at USB hard drives at Best Buy the other day- I plan on buying
>> a 1 TB drive. The backup software all seems similar at least from what
>> the boxes say.
>>
>> or would it be better to use third party software like Acronis?
>>
>> My PC has Vista- the backup software with that is extremely minimal.
>> Joe

> I use the Windows 7 backup, which I hear is a quantum leap better than
> anything that came with Windows before, but I have no idea, as I never
> used any of the stuff that came in Windows before. I hear one of my
> systems has failed in Canada. I have backed it up with the Windows 7
> backup, so once I'm back in Canada I'll know how good it is at restore.
> Yeesh, why do these things always happen when you're gone?!

Better entertainment value that way ;-)

Seriously, you absolutely need to test the full restore procedure
before you need it.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----

From: edfair on

I waffle between Acronis and PCBackup for my customers. PCB is now
something else, was MIGO but has been renamed again.

One advantage of Acronis is the image you can get, then use that to
rebuild the system, with the overhead of all the extra stuff imaged.
PCB would require a reload of the OS and then a restore to just get your
data.

Or a combination, weekly image with Acronis and a daily with something
else.

From: Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) on
> One advantage of Acronis is the image you can get, then use that to
> rebuild the system, with the overhead of all the extra stuff imaged.
> PCB would require a reload of the OS and then a restore to just get your
> data.

Does it compress & burn a disk image into a bootable recovery DVD?
From: Rod Speed on
Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) wrote:
>> One advantage of Acronis is the image you can get, then use that to
>> rebuild the system, with the overhead of all the extra stuff imaged.
>> PCB would require a reload of the OS and then a restore to just get
>> your data.
>
> Does it compress & burn a disk image into a bootable recovery DVD?

You can do that, but its generally better to use a bootable
recovery CD that uses the image off an external hard drive
instead. Its a lot quicker to produce that sort of image.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: No good usb portable drives
Next: Bare Drive vs. clothed?