From: anahata on
On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 10:17:17 +0100, chris wrote:

> (Does anything other than Linux use Lilo?)
>
> I doubt it as it's short for /Li/nux /Lo/ader... ;)

I wouldn't say any other OS (or indeed any OS) "uses" LILO, but LILO
(like GRUB) "knows" how to load several different types of OS, and that
certainly includes some (I don't know about latest) versions of Windows.

As for the OP's question, I'd have thought that the OS that "uses LILO"
could easily be loaded by GRUB. Figuring out how to configure GRUB to do
it is the real question...

--
Anahata
anahata(a)treewind.co.uk ==//== 01638 720444

From: davesurrey on

"anahata" <anahata(a)treewind.co.uk> wrote in message

> As for the OP's question, I'd have thought that the OS that "uses LILO"
> could easily be loaded by GRUB. Figuring out how to configure GRUB to do
> it is the real question...

Okay, then may I re-phrase it and ask if anyone has ever done a similar
thing and
1. did they need to uninstall the Lilo files (I believe austrumi will
install them automatically)?
2. did they need to add grub to the /boot partiton of the "lilo" distro?
3. any hints about the grub stanza eg use chainloader ??
Thanks again
dave

From: chris on

Like I said previously, it was a while ago, but:

> 1. did they need to uninstall the Lilo files (I believe austrumi will
> install them automatically)?

lilo config needs installing before it can be used, whereas Grub just
looks for the appropriate files according to the menu.lst file. So, by
installing Grub, it should override lilo.

> 2. did they need to add grub to the /boot partiton of the "lilo" distro?

That depends on your setup; ''/boot'' can be anywhere. You could even
have just one /boot for all (27) of your distros. The difficulty there
is that all your kernel names need to be distinct. But, yes, for
simplicity it is better to have lots of '/boot' directories within each
distro's '/'.

> 3. any hints about the grub stanza eg use chainloader ??

You'll need to look deeper than that. The grub 'stanza' is just the
first (or 1.5 I forget) stage of the boot process, you need to create
the correct grub files in /boot before fiddling with menu.lst.

Check the manpage and docs regarding the grub command shell in order to
do this.

Another thought is that you could use grub to hand-off to lilo in order
to boot astrumi, I've done this by accident with other grubs. That may
be easier, but YMMV.

HTH
From: Geoffrey Clements on
"anahata" <anahata(a)treewind.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 10:17:17 +0100, chris wrote:
>
>> (Does anything other than Linux use Lilo?)
>>
>> I doubt it as it's short for /Li/nux /Lo/ader... ;)
>
> I wouldn't say any other OS (or indeed any OS) "uses" LILO, but LILO
> (like GRUB) "knows" how to load several different types of OS, and that
> certainly includes some (I don't know about latest) versions of Windows.
>
> As for the OP's question, I'd have thought that the OS that "uses LILO"
> could easily be loaded by GRUB. Figuring out how to configure GRUB to do
> it is the real question...

and it's not difficult as long as you know the partition where the OS is
loaded and the kernel parameters you want.

Another option is to use the grub chainloader command but that would require
LILO to be installed on the partition you installed the new OS to boot the
new OS and I don't know if that's possible with LILO (it is with GRUB).

--
Geoff

From: davesurrey on

"chris" <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> davesurrey wrote:
>> "anahata" <anahata(a)treewind.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> As for the OP's question, I'd have thought that the OS that "uses LILO"
>>> could easily be loaded by GRUB. Figuring out how to configure GRUB to do
>>> it is the real question...
>>>
>> Okay, then may I re-phrase it and ask if anyone has ever done a similar
>> thing and
>
> Like I said previously, it was a while ago, but:
>
>> 1. did they need to uninstall the Lilo files (I believe austrumi will
>> install them automatically)?
>
> lilo config needs installing before it can be used, whereas Grub just
> looks for the appropriate files according to the menu.lst file. So, by
> installing Grub, it should override lilo.
>
>> 2. did they need to add grub to the /boot partiton of the "lilo" distro?
>
> That depends on your setup; ''/boot'' can be anywhere. You could even
> have just one /boot for all (27) of your distros. The difficulty there
> is that all your kernel names need to be distinct. But, yes, for
> simplicity it is better to have lots of '/boot' directories within each
> distro's '/'.
>
>> 3. any hints about the grub stanza eg use chainloader ??
>
> You'll need to look deeper than that. The grub 'stanza' is just the
> first (or 1.5 I forget) stage of the boot process, you need to create
> the correct grub files in /boot before fiddling with menu.lst.
>
> Check the manpage and docs regarding the grub command shell in order to
> do this.
>
> Another thought is that you could use grub to hand-off to lilo in order
> to boot astrumi, I've done this by accident with other grubs. That may
> be easier, but YMMV.
>
> HTH
Okay it looks like it play time. Will experiment and report back if I get
any success.
Didn't last time I tried it.
Thanks
Dave