From: davesurrey on
I use grub 0.97 extensively on my multi-OS test PC.

I want to try an OS that uses Lilo as its boot loader, but going away from
grub is not an option.

Is there any way I could install this OS under grub?

Thanks for any help.

dave

From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <4ab0a204$0$2539$da0feed9(a)news.zen.co.uk>,
davesurrey <dave(a)antispam.invalid> wrote:
>I use grub 0.97 extensively on my multi-OS test PC.
>
>I want to try an OS that uses Lilo as its boot loader, but going away from
>grub is not an option.
>
>Is there any way I could install this OS under grub?

If it's another Linux, I don't see why you can't use Grub - however I
use Lilo for everything...

(Does anything other than Linux use Lilo?)

Gordon
From: davesurrey on

"Gordon Henderson" <gordon+usenet(a)drogon.net> wrote in message
> In article <4ab0a204$0$2539$da0feed9(a)news.zen.co.uk>,
> davesurrey <dave(a)antispam.invalid> wrote:
>>I use grub 0.97 extensively on my multi-OS test PC.
>>
>>I want to try an OS that uses Lilo as its boot loader, but going away from
>>grub is not an option.
>>
>>Is there any way I could install this OS under grub?
>
> If it's another Linux, I don't see why you can't use Grub - however I
> use Lilo for everything...
>
> (Does anything other than Linux use Lilo?)
>
> Gordon

Hi Gordon,

I have many many (over 27) different distros over 2 HDDs most linux,
also some Windows and use grub to boot all of them.

Austrumi (Linux) looks interesting for some systems but uses LIlo.

I may be being thick here (or let's just say lacking knowledge) but how do I
get grub to load it?
I can write a boot stanza but don't I have to install grub in say /boot in
austrumi and then won't it conflict with Lilo??

> (Does anything other than Linux use Lilo?)
(I assume Lilo is only used for Linux ...doesn't Lilo stand for LInux LOader
although I have at the back of my mnd it could also load windows 9x)

Cheers
Dave

From: chris on
Gordon Henderson wrote:
> In article <4ab0a204$0$2539$da0feed9(a)news.zen.co.uk>, davesurrey
> <dave(a)antispam.invalid> wrote:
>> I use grub 0.97 extensively on my multi-OS test PC.
>>
>> I want to try an OS that uses Lilo as its boot loader, but going
>> away from grub is not an option.
>>
>> Is there any way I could install this OS under grub?
>
> If it's another Linux, I don't see why you can't use Grub

Indeed. There's nothing stopping you 'install' the OS, but you'll need
to manually create all the Grub config yourself. I did it once, a while
ago, and although not difficult the Grub syntax is very different to
what is typical in Linux.

> - however I use Lilo for everything...
>
> (Does anything other than Linux use Lilo?)

I doubt it as it's short for /Li/nux /Lo/ader... ;)
From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <4ab0ad00$0$2476$db0fefd9(a)news.zen.co.uk>,
davesurrey <dave(a)antispam.invalid> wrote:

>"Gordon Henderson" <gordon+usenet(a)drogon.net> wrote in message
>> In article <4ab0a204$0$2539$da0feed9(a)news.zen.co.uk>,
>> davesurrey <dave(a)antispam.invalid> wrote:
>>>I use grub 0.97 extensively on my multi-OS test PC.
>>>
>>>I want to try an OS that uses Lilo as its boot loader, but going away from
>>>grub is not an option.
>>>
>>>Is there any way I could install this OS under grub?
>>
>> If it's another Linux, I don't see why you can't use Grub - however I
>> use Lilo for everything...
>>
>> (Does anything other than Linux use Lilo?)
>
>Hi Gordon,
>
>I have many many (over 27) different distros over 2 HDDs most linux,
>also some Windows and use grub to boot all of them.
>
>Austrumi (Linux) looks interesting for some systems but uses LIlo.
>
>I may be being thick here (or let's just say lacking knowledge) but how do I
>get grub to load it?

I don't know - I use Lilo...

However what I'd suggest is seeing if you can do the install (presumably
onto a blank partition) and not have it install it's own boot loader -
then you manually edit grub to boot that partition.

>I can write a boot stanza but don't I have to install grub in say /boot in
>austrumi and then won't it conflict with Lilo??

I don't know enough about Grub - really, I don't use it and have no need
for it myself. Lilo's done me OK since it was first written and I don't
see why I need to change.

>> (Does anything other than Linux use Lilo?)
>(I assume Lilo is only used for Linux ...doesn't Lilo stand for LInux LOader
>although I have at the back of my mnd it could also load windows 9x)

I load Win2K, WinXP and a few different linuxes via Lilo.

Gordon