From: davesurrey on

"Geoffrey Clements" <geoffrey.clementsNO(a)SPAMbaesystems.com> wrote in
message news:4ab0c4df$1_1(a)glkas0286.greenlnk.net...
> "anahata" <anahata(a)treewind.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 10:17:17 +0100, chris wrote:
>>
>>> (Does anything other than Linux use Lilo?)
>>>
>>> I doubt it as it's short for /Li/nux /Lo/ader... ;)
>>
>> I wouldn't say any other OS (or indeed any OS) "uses" LILO, but LILO
>> (like GRUB) "knows" how to load several different types of OS, and that
>> certainly includes some (I don't know about latest) versions of Windows.
>>
>> As for the OP's question, I'd have thought that the OS that "uses LILO"
>> could easily be loaded by GRUB. Figuring out how to configure GRUB to do
>> it is the real question...
>>

> and it's not difficult as long as you know the partition where the OS is
> loaded and the kernel parameters you want.
>
> Another option is to use the grub chainloader command but that would
> require LILO to be installed on the partition you installed the new OS to
> boot the new OS and I don't know if that's possible with LILO (it is with
> GRUB).

Thanks Geoff,
I'll start experimenting.
Cheers
Dave

From: Tony Houghton on
On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:56:02 +0100
chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Another thought is that you could use grub to hand-off to lilo in
> order to boot astrumi, I've done this by accident with other grubs.
> That may be easier, but YMMV.

That's the way I'd try to do it; in the long run it'll save manually
changing the main OS's grub setup every time Austrumi gets a kernel
update.

It should be possible to get Austrumi to install lilo in its partition
instead of in the MBR, then get grub to chain load it with a simple
addition to its config file.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk

From: Richard Kettlewell on
"davesurrey" <dave(a)antispam.invalid> writes:
> "anahata" <anahata(a)treewind.co.uk> wrote:

>> As for the OP's question, I'd have thought that the OS that "uses
>> LILO" could easily be loaded by GRUB. Figuring out how to configure
>> GRUB to do it is the real question...
>
> Okay, then may I re-phrase it and ask if anyone has ever done a similar
> thing and
> 1. did they need to uninstall the Lilo files (I believe austrumi will
> install them automatically)?

Provided austrumi leaves your boot sector alone I think the lilo files
should be harmless.

> 2. did they need to add grub to the /boot partiton of the "lilo" distro?

If I'm reading the manual right you can avoid this by setting an image
device when you (re-)install Grub.

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#setup

(I've not tried this - no systems complicated enough to need it.)

> 3. any hints about the grub stanza eg use chainloader ??

I don't think you should need a chain loader.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
From: Whiskers on
On 2009-09-16, davesurrey <dave(a)antispam.invalid> wrote:

> "Geoffrey Clements" <geoffrey.clementsNO(a)SPAMbaesystems.com> wrote in
> message news:4ab0c4df$1_1(a)glkas0286.greenlnk.net...
>> "anahata" <anahata(a)treewind.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 10:17:17 +0100, chris wrote:

[...]

>> and it's not difficult as long as you know the partition where the OS is
>> loaded and the kernel parameters you want.
>>
>> Another option is to use the grub chainloader command but that would
>> require LILO to be installed on the partition you installed the new OS to
>> boot the new OS and I don't know if that's possible with LILO (it is with
>> GRUB).
>>
> Thanks Geoff,
> I'll start experimenting.
> Cheers
> Dave

I've used a stand-alone boot manager in the MBR to 'chainload' both Grub
and LiLo bootloaders installed into the distros' own / or /boot
partitions (and Windows too). So I think LiLo should be happy getting
started by Grub, if you want to try that.

But a stand-alone boot manager is easier to manage than
Grub-as-boot-manager, as you don't need to remember not to uninstall the
distro that is used to configure Grub. I like 'GAG'
<http://gag.sourceforge.net/index.html>

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
From: Will Kemp on
On 09/16/2009 09:29 AM, davesurrey wrote:
> I use grub 0.97 extensively on my multi-OS test PC.
>
> I want to try an OS that uses Lilo as its boot loader, but going away from
> grub is not an option.
>
> Is there any way I could install this OS under grub?

You've got a couple of options. If it was me, i'd get the new distro to
install lilo onto the partition boot sector (not the MBR) and then
configure grub to chain load it. That's by far the simplest option.

An alternative is to not let it install a boot loader at all and then
copy the kernel and related files from the new distro's /boot to your
existing /boot and add an entry in grub.conf to boot them (but setting
the root to the new distro's root).

The drawback of this method is that when the new distro updates its
kernel, you've got to manually update its kernel and grub.conf in your
main /boot . With the chainloading method, it can update the kernel
automatically and everything will just work.

I've used both methods and chainloading's best!

--
http://NovemberEchoRomeoDelta.com