From: Rod Speed on
David Brown wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Ian D wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote

>>> That's correct, and those units are the ones with true sine wave output,

>> Nope, the type of output is an entirely separate issue.

> Both types of UPS generate roughly sine wave outputs when the inverter is active.

Pity he was clearly talking about TRUE sine wave output, which only
a small subset of UPSs produce. And it aint even the continuous/online
UPSs that mostly do produce TRUE sine wave output.

> The difference is that with a standby UPS, the inverter is not active unless the power fails, so the output is just a
> filtered version of the input.

Thats an entirely separate matter to TRUE sine wave output.

>>> and are relatively expensive.

>> Not anymore with continuous or online UPSs.

> Online or continuous UPSs are more expensive than standby UPS for the same ratings.

In theory that is correct. In practice there isnt a
lot in it with the brand name domestic UPSs now.

> Judging by a quick check on APC's website, the difference is something like 25% more expensive for "Smart UPS
> online" compared to "Smart UPS" (standby).

Thats not very much.

> Additionally, smaller and cheaper UPSs are mostly standby types, while online ones are for more professional markets.

Thats overstating it, particularly with the stuff out of china.

> If you are wanting something that can give you 10 minutes at 300W, standby UPSs will be half the price.

Wrong.

> Online UPSs are also less efficient for smaller systems - the double conversion wastes at least 10% of your
> electricity.

Utterly mangled all over again.

And if you do care about that, you can also get replacement power supplys
that avoid the double conversion and still have the UPS functionality.

> That doesn't mean that standby UPSs are a better choice for a small user - just that there are different balances to
> consider and the price difference (though less than it used to be) is significant.

Not anymore.

From: Rod Speed on
Ato_Zee wrote:
> On 15-Oct-2009, bbbl67 <yjkhan(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is not being able to hold a charge after only one year considered
>> junky enough? I bought a power supply appropriate for a home
>> environment,
>
> Most are sealed lead acid batteries, much like a vehicle
> battery, and vehicle batteries generally have around a
> 3 year life.

Thats because of the deep cycling car batterys get, particularly in winter.

You get a lot longer than that with telephone exchanges etc.

> Vehicles and UPS continuously float charge, and an
> UPS is generally on, which is rather longer than in
> vehicle useage, other than public transport which uses
> heavy duty batteries most vehicles aren't driven
> continuously throughout the day.

But a UPS battery gets cycled a lot less than car batterys do.

> The operating conditions of UPS batteries
> can rapidly deplete residual capacity.

Yes, particularly with a poor charger that produces sulphation.

> Main benefit of UPS is during a brown out, when
> flashing BIOS, and while MS$ is updating and
> the PC says installing 27 updates, don't switch off.

And they do allow a graceful shutdown on mains failure too.

From: Mike Ruskai on
On or about Thu, 15 Oct 2009 13:07:30 -0700 (PDT) did bbbl67
<yjkhan(a)gmail.com> dribble thusly:

>On Oct 15, 12:41�am, Mike Ruskai
><BUTthann...(a)DONTearthlinkLIKE.netSPAM> wrote:
>> You probably bought cheap, undersized units, which is why you've come to your
>> erroneous conclusion.
>
>Is not being able to hold a charge after only one year considered
>junky enough? I bought a power supply appropriate for a home
>environment, if I could afford to build a computer room with an AC/UPS
>with alarm monitoring system in it, I would've done so, but not within
>my budget, nor most people's budgets.

If it couldn't hold a charge after only one year, you spent next to nothing
and got even less.

Three years is a typical battery replacement interval (if you can't replace
the battery, that's another sign you bought junk). You can get suitable UPS
units at a typical office store with replaceable batteries, sizable to your
computer's needs, for less than $200 (less than $100 if your required capacity
is low enough).

If you insist that your claim about UPS's being junk is not ridiculous, then
provide some model numbers or brands/capacities that you've tried. Even the
very inexpensive 1100VA Belkin unit I started with several years back worked
better than you describe.
From: David Lesher on
kenk <kenk(a)nowhere.com> writes:

>I was sitting at my desk yesterday during a storm when there was a
>split-second power outage. Despite the fact that my battery shows all 5
>lights lit, the computer died.

What happens when you pull the wall plug on the UPS?
Does the machine die or not?

--
A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz(a)nrk.com
From: Yousuf Khan on
Mike Ruskai wrote:
> If you insist that your claim about UPS's being junk is not ridiculous, then
> provide some model numbers or brands/capacities that you've tried. Even the
> very inexpensive 1100VA Belkin unit I started with several years back worked
> better than you describe.

You sound like you work for a UPS company, otherwise why are you so
invested in it? Just accept that people have different experiences than
you, and move on.

Yousuf Khan