From: kenk on
I was sitting at my desk yesterday during a storm when there was a
split-second power outage. Despite the fact that my battery shows all 5
lights lit, the computer died.

Is there a better brand to use than APC? Can the battery be sub-par
even though the test lights say it is OK? What have others of you chosen?

Thanks
Ken K
From: Ato_Zee on

On 14-Oct-2009, kenk <kenk(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

> I was sitting at my desk yesterday during a storm when there was a
> split-second power outage. Despite the fact that my battery shows all 5
> lights lit, the computer died.

The computer died as in it won't run off the mains any more?
Or just the APC unit died?
Battery monitoring may be a chip that is independent, and
reports battery state when other parts have failed.
So could be one of the power semiconductors.
Mustek is an alternative, looks a better build quality,
but that is no guarantee of random failure..
From: Yousuf Khan on
kenk wrote:
> I was sitting at my desk yesterday during a storm when there was a
> split-second power outage. Despite the fact that my battery shows all 5
> lights lit, the computer died.
>
> Is there a better brand to use than APC? Can the battery be sub-par
> even though the test lights say it is OK? What have others of you chosen?

I've tried so many different UPSes that I've given up on them. None of
them last long, and none of them are guaranteed to save you from a power
outage. Worthless pieces of garbage, they are.

Yousuf Khan
From: Mike Ruskai on
On or about Wed, 14 Oct 2009 21:52:39 -0400 did Yousuf Khan
<bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> dribble thusly:

>kenk wrote:
>> I was sitting at my desk yesterday during a storm when there was a
>> split-second power outage. Despite the fact that my battery shows all 5
>> lights lit, the computer died.
>>
>> Is there a better brand to use than APC? Can the battery be sub-par
>> even though the test lights say it is OK? What have others of you chosen?
>
>I've tried so many different UPSes that I've given up on them. None of
>them last long, and none of them are guaranteed to save you from a power
>outage. Worthless pieces of garbage, they are.

If you spend nothing on them, that's certainly true. Don't fault the
technology if you can't spec out the appropriate unit. I have everything
sensitive on a UPS, including my computers, external drives, and even my TiVo.

Power outages of less than several minutes don't affect me. I generally shut
things down after about three minutes, because in my area, that usually means
the power will be out for a couple of hours (typically because some idiot
driving in the rain took out a power pole).

You probably bought cheap, undersized units, which is why you've come to your
erroneous conclusion.
From: Mike Ruskai on
On or about Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:41:55 -0700 did kenk <kenk(a)nowhere.com>
dribble thusly:

>I was sitting at my desk yesterday during a storm when there was a
>split-second power outage. Despite the fact that my battery shows all 5
>lights lit, the computer died.
>
>Is there a better brand to use than APC? Can the battery be sub-par
>even though the test lights say it is OK? What have others of you chosen?

Your "died" is pretty vague. It's possible there was a surge that exceeded
the suppression ability of the UPS. It's also possible that your computer's
power requirements exceed the capacity of the UPS. The value varies, but
typically the number of watts the unit can supply is 60% of the VA value.