From: Ron(UK) on
Bob Urz wrote:

> Ron(UK) wrote:
>> Hi chums
>>
>> I have a Behringer rev2496 that`s playing up, Last night it wouldn`t
>> intitialise, stopping with a flickering display and all leds lit,
>> switching off and on, and doing a factory reset didn`t help.
>>
>> Today on the bench, it had the same symptoms, with some wierd looking
>> voltages around the connector from the psu to the main panel. after
>> probing around with a meter, it suddenly fired up and is working. It`s
>> out of warranty and frankly not worth spending much time on. I`ve
>> already replaced the unit with a TC M350 which is a far superior
>> device anyway.
>>
>> Questions are, has anyone had this problem? and does anyone know what
>> the output voltages from the psu are sposed to be?
>>
>> Ron(UK)
>
> I would be checking the solder connections on the power supply. And
> doing a quickie in circuit ESR check on the caps.

Yeah, I`ll be doing that as soon as I get some spare bench time, bloody
thing is working ok now, typical! Soldering looks ok, tho very dull and
dry looking, I,m quite impressed at how well it seems to be build actually.

Ron(UK)
From: Bob Urz on

Ron(UK) wrote:

> Bob Urz wrote:
>

>> Ron(UK) wrote:
>>
>>> Hi chums
>>>
>>> I have a Behringer rev2496 that`s playing up, Last night it wouldn`t
>>> intitialise, stopping with a flickering display and all leds lit,
>>> switching off and on, and doing a factory reset didn`t help.
>>>
>>> Today on the bench, it had the same symptoms, with some wierd looking
>>> voltages around the connector from the psu to the main panel. after
>>> probing around with a meter, it suddenly fired up and is working.
>>> It`s out of warranty and frankly not worth spending much time on.
>>> I`ve already replaced the unit with a TC M350 which is a far superior
>>> device anyway.
>>>
>>> Questions are, has anyone had this problem? and does anyone know what
>>> the output voltages from the psu are sposed to be?
>>>
>>> Ron(UK)
>>

>> I would be checking the solder connections on the power supply. And
>> doing a quickie in circuit ESR check on the caps.
>

> Yeah, I`ll be doing that as soon as I get some spare bench time, bloody
> thing is working ok now, typical! Soldering looks ok, tho very dull and
> dry looking, I,m quite impressed at how well it seems to be build actually.
>
> Ron(UK)

If this unit is full of surface mount caps, that's a weak point.
Those surface mount electrolytics are smaller than there leaded
counterparts, tend to run hotter and not last as long.
I would pay particular attention to the higher values ones.

If its got a linear 3 legged regulator, i would solder up that area
for good measure.

Bob

From: Gareth Magennis on

>> I would be checking the solder connections on the power supply. And
>> doing a quickie in circuit ESR check on the caps.
>
> Yeah, I`ll be doing that as soon as I get some spare bench time, bloody
> thing is working ok now, typical! Soldering looks ok, tho very dull and
> dry looking, I,m quite impressed at how well it seems to be build
> actually.
>
> Ron(UK)

Dull and dry looking may just be lead free solder. I've heard quite a few
stories now of batches of equipment with soldering problems due to the
manufacturing plants not having got lead free soldering sorted for a while.
Wharfedale passive crossovers for one.

Apparently resoldering lead free solder with leaded solder can lead to
premature failiure of the solder joint, so best use the same type as the
original.

Gareth.

From: Ron(UK) on
Bob Urz wrote:

> If this unit is full of surface mount caps, that's a weak point.
> Those surface mount electrolytics are smaller than there leaded
> counterparts, tend to run hotter and not last as long.
> I would pay particular attention to the higher values ones.
>
> If its got a linear 3 legged regulator, i would solder up that area
> for good measure.

Normal Electro`s in the psu, linear regs on the main panel, soldering
around the regulator legs looks a bit iffy from the top, but no amount
of prodding with a pointed stick reproduces the fault. I`ll have a
tickle around when I have time.

Cheers
Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems
From: Gareth Magennis on

> If this unit is full of surface mount caps, that's a weak point.
> Those surface mount electrolytics are smaller than there leaded
> counterparts, tend to run hotter and not last as long.
> I would pay particular attention to the higher values ones.
>
> If its got a linear 3 legged regulator, i would solder up that area
> for good measure.
>
> Bob

Yep, anything that gets warm, especially regulators, and anything
large/heavy like power resistors and PSU caps are prime candidates for dry
joints. Wiggle all the large/hot objects - you can often find the dry joints
by feel.

Gareth.