From: Bob Urz on

Gareth Magennis wrote:

>>>I would be checking the solder connections on the power supply. And
>>>doing a quickie in circuit ESR check on the caps.
>>
>>Yeah, I`ll be doing that as soon as I get some spare bench time, bloody
>>thing is working ok now, typical! Soldering looks ok, tho very dull and
>>dry looking, I,m quite impressed at how well it seems to be build
>>actually.
>>
>>Ron(UK)
>

> Dull and dry looking may just be lead free solder. I've heard quite a few
> stories now of batches of equipment with soldering problems due to the
> manufacturing plants not having got lead free soldering sorted for a while.
> Wharfedale passive crossovers for one.
>
> Apparently resoldering lead free solder with leaded solder can lead to
> premature failiure of the solder joint, so best use the same type as the
> original.
>

> Gareth.

I don't even have any of the new leadless solder yet. I wonder if all of
the new ROHS boards are labeled somehow as such. This would be good to
know. I suppose i am going to have to buy some new seller tips and
dedicate a solder station to ROHS use.

Bob

From: Ron(UK) on
Gareth Magennis wrote:

> Apparently resoldering lead free solder with leaded solder can lead to
> premature failiure of the solder joint, so best use the same type as the
> original.

Looks like soldering anything with lead free solder leads to premature
failure of the joint - it`s a catastrophe.

Ron(UK)
From: Jim Savery on

"Ron(UK)" <ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message
> Gareth Magennis wrote:
>

>> Apparently resoldering lead free solder with leaded solder can lead to
>> premature failiure of the solder joint, so best use the same type as the
>> original.
>>

> Looks like soldering anything with lead free solder leads to premature
> failure of the joint - it`s a catastrophe.
>
> Ron(UK)

Hi Ron. If the unit's serial number starts with the letter "S", it is an
RoHS-compliant unit. That would also mean it is new enough to be under
warranty, and all repairs should be covered by BEHRINGER.

You can utilize the New-for-Old warranty option via the participating EU
dealers listed here:

http://www.behringer.com/05_support/service_exchange.cfm?lang=ENG

Or contact one of our authorized repair centers for the EU here:

http://www.behringer.com/05_support/service_centers.cfm?lang=ENG

Please drop me a line if I can help in any way.

Best Regards,

Jim

Jim Savery
Global Customer Service & Support Manager
BEHRINGER Group
Tel: +01-425-672-0816 x 111
Direct Dial: +01-425-939-3216
Fax: +01-425-673-7647
IP Phone Ext: 5024
mailto:jim.savery(a)behringer.com
http://www.behringer.com

This email is intended exclusively for the addressee(s) named above and may
contain privileged and confidential information. If you are not among the
intended recipients, you may not copy, utilize or distribute any of the
information contained herein. If you have received this email in error,
please notify us immediately via return email and delete the original from
your mailbox. Thank you.

From: Ron(UK) on
Jim Savery wrote:
> "Ron(UK)" <ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message
>> Gareth Magennis wrote:
>>
>>> Apparently resoldering lead free solder with leaded solder can lead to
>>> premature failiure of the solder joint, so best use the same type as the
>>> original.
>>>
>> Looks like soldering anything with lead free solder leads to premature
>> failure of the joint - it`s a catastrophe.
>>
>> Ron(UK)
>
> Hi Ron. If the unit's serial number starts with the letter "S", it is an
> RoHS-compliant unit. That would also mean it is new enough to be under
> warranty, and all repairs should be covered by BEHRINGER.

Sadly no, it starts with N, I`ve had it a few years. It`s been a good
unit and doesn`t owe me anything

It`s worked fine since I took the lid off, almost certainly a dry joint
in the psu or one of the headers. When I get some time to devote to it,
I`ll go in deep and let you all know the result.

> Please drop me a line if I can help in any way.

Thanks very much, will do.

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems
From: Ron(UK) on
hank alrich wrote:
> Ron(UK) wrote:
>
>> It`s worked fine since I took the lid off, almost certainly a dry joint
>> in the psu or one of the headers. When I get some time to devote to it,
>> I`ll go in deep and let you all know the result.
>
> Has it any ribbon connectors?

Yes two, plus a mini loom from the psu to the main board which is the
one I suspect. the headers are held in with hot melt glue. I`ll post the
outcome when I get a round tuit.

Ron(UK)