From: Ian on
On 22 Dec, 21:09, Unruh <unruh-s...(a)physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> In uk.comp.os.linux you write:

> >b) run a web proxy which can convert all JPGs into GIFs and modify the
> >pages it's passing on appropriately - not unlike T-Mobile does when it
> >replaces images with lo-res versions. It would also be useful if it
> >could block all flash content and replace it with an icon saying
> >"Flash content blocked".
>
> Set up a php page. Passing on to where?

Sorry, should have said, to the dialled-in PC.

Ian
From: Ian on
On 22 Dec, 20:11, Will Kemp <w...(a)xxxx.swaggie.net> wrote:
> Ian wrote:

> > b) run a web proxy which can convert all JPGs into GIFs and modify the
> > pages it's passing on appropriately - not unlike T-Mobile does when it
> > replaces images with lo-res versions. It would also be useful if it
> > could block all flash content and replace it with an icon saying
> > "Flash content blocked".

> I haven't had to configure squid for a few years, either, and i can't
> remember the details of how it works now, but you may be able to work
> out a way to dynamically rewrite the html files and change the jpeg file
> names to your gif file names - and then, of course, to make sure
> requests for those files are intercepted and the required jpegs
> requested and converted to gifs and sent to the browser. It's horribly
> complicated, but i'm sure there's a way to do it. The fact that you have
> to ask, though, suggests it will be an uphill struggle for you.

Grrrrr. I was really wondering if there was a standard, established
way to do this ...

> And if you want to contract it out, give me a yell (just remove the
> "xxxx.") from my email address - it sounds like it could be quite
> interesting! ;-)

Watch your inbox.

Ian
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 20:11:45 +0000, Will Kemp wrote:

> Replacing jpegs with gifs is a bit more challenging, but you may find a
> way to do it with transparent proxying (using iptables), using squid as
> the proxy and passing the images through jpegtopnm and then pipe the
> output through ppmtogif, or maybe using 'convert', which is part of the
> ImageMagick set of graphics tools.

Is this the sort of thing that Privoxy can do more easily than Squid?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <756015b5-358d-4888-8ae0-33f384c54c7b(a)z27g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
Ian <ian.groups(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
>Dear All,
>
>For a research project I need to set up a PC which can
>
>a) Accept incoming phone calls through a modem, set up a PPP
>connection, and bridge across to a standard broadband connection
>through a router (ie being an ISP for one other computer) and
>
>b) run a web proxy which can convert all JPGs into GIFs and modify the
>pages it's passing on appropriately - not unlike T-Mobile does when it
>replaces images with lo-res versions. It would also be useful if it
>could block all flash content and replace it with an icon saying
>"Flash content blocked".
>
>Can anyone point me in the direction of Linux stuff to do this? I'm
>afraid the purpose has to be confidential for now, but if anyone who
>could help really feels a need to know, email me and I'll tell you
>what I can.

Would you not be better off keeping the images as JPGs rather than convert
to GIF. I can imagine a browser being upset when it recieves a GIF file
in the data stream after requesting a JPG. I'm sure AOL did it that way
at one point - all you need to do is re-code the jpg in transit with a
lower quality setting.

Gordon
From: Will Kemp on
Gordon Henderson wrote:
> In article <756015b5-358d-4888-8ae0-33f384c54c7b(a)z27g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
> Ian <ian.groups(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> For a research project I need to set up a PC which can
>>
>> a) Accept incoming phone calls through a modem, set up a PPP
>> connection, and bridge across to a standard broadband connection
>> through a router (ie being an ISP for one other computer) and
>>
>> b) run a web proxy which can convert all JPGs into GIFs and modify the
>> pages it's passing on appropriately - not unlike T-Mobile does when it
>> replaces images with lo-res versions. It would also be useful if it
>> could block all flash content and replace it with an icon saying
>> "Flash content blocked".
>>
>> Can anyone point me in the direction of Linux stuff to do this? I'm
>> afraid the purpose has to be confidential for now, but if anyone who
>> could help really feels a need to know, email me and I'll tell you
>> what I can.
>
> Would you not be better off keeping the images as JPGs rather than convert
> to GIF. I can imagine a browser being upset when it recieves a GIF file
> in the data stream after requesting a JPG.

You couldn't send the browser a gif file if it's requested a jpg file
(well, not unless you called the jpeg somefile.gif - which might stop
the browser rendering it properly anyway). You'd have to rewrite the
html on the fly, changing "somefile.jpg" to "somefile.gif", so the
browser requested the gif file instead (which you would then convert on
the fly).

> I'm sure AOL did it that way
> at one point - all you need to do is re-code the jpg in transit with a
> lower quality setting.

Why the lower quality setting?

--
http://NovemberEchoRomeoDelta.com