From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Leonid S. Knyshov // SBS Expert"
<LeonidSKnyshovSBSExpert(a)discussions.microsoft.com>

| On 3/18/2010 3:19 AM, David H. Lipman wrote:
>> No, I thought about spanning a ZIP because we have a "company wide" license for
>> WinZIP.

>> What you propose is unaproved and can NOT be used.

>> Note: This is no Mom& Pop Shop, this is a *very large* enterprise organization with
>> well
>> established rules, regulations and AUP.

| Same option can be done with Winzip. It can be done with DOS command
| prompt or vbscript for that matter, but I suppose that's unsupported.

| Set compression mode to "Store" file and set it to span mode. Should be
| very quick since you won't be applying compression.

| Your proposed solution for file spanning using Winzip will work. There
| is no easier way to do it from inside Outlook without using unapproved
| 3rd-party solutions.

VBscript - Never! KiXtart :-)

Yes, I am going to have to look into the idea of ZIP spanning large PSTs for personnel is
such a situation.

Danke Leonid & Diane.

--
Dave

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp(a)msn.com>

| I figured a splitter would be out of the question. :(

| No file shares you could upload it to?

Took all day.

What's worse, when I extracted data from the large PST to a newly created one I overshot
the ~4.5GB size and it became 5.05GB. I had remove email from that (sorting largest
attachment to smallest) to another. Moveed ~600MB but the file was still ~5.05GB so I had
to then compact it. That took more time.

When I was done, I had a 12+GB PST that was -- EMPTY !

I don't think that was the case with Office 97 style PST files. You moved files out, the
PST got smaller.

--
Dave

From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
You need to compact the pst - or wait, when there is some idle time, outlook
will kick off compacting. But.. I've heard from a few people that compacting
doesn't work very good in Outlook 2007...

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp(a)msn.com>

| You need to compact the pst - or wait, when there is some idle time, outlook
| will kick off compacting. But.. I've heard from a few people that compacting
| doesn't work very good in Outlook 2007...

This was OL 2003 (thank G-d).

Now I have to decrypt all the data before I burn her DVDs.

A very long and very tedious job.

There has to be a better way.

--
Dave

From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
You poor man. If it makes you feel better, admins everywhere feel the
pain...and a few can top it with stories if their own. :)

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email: