From: Gordon on

"charles kuchar" <chaskuchar(a)msn.com> wrote in message

> I am running explorer 8.

The solution is EXACTLY the same as for IE6 or IE7. You did apply the
solution?

From: charles kuchar on
I think I followed all the steps in succession except for downloading the
regedit file to the computer. I copyed and checked that entry in my laptop.
the desktop is running windows 7 ultimate and does not have the problem. I
will go through the steps again starting with the slipstick solution.
charlie

From: VanguardLH on
charles kuchar wrote:

> This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this
> computer. Please contact your system administrator.
>
> Operation canceled due to restrictions:
> http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310049
>
> Been through both of them, and still have the problem. microsoft and
> slipstick both refer to explorer 6 and 7. I am running explorer 8. sony
> viao, 4 g ram, intel processor, vista sp2.

The slipstick article orients itself to the version of Windows you are using
hence refers to the baseline version of IE for that OS. If you read the
article, it would take very effort to find the Reset button.

"still have the problem" doesn't say that you ever actually tried the Reset
operation. Sometimes it doesn't work and requires some registry editing.

While you might try continuing an old January thread that many folks won't
see (I don't keep them after 8 days in my newsreader), I would suggest
starting your own new thread if resetting or using the Set Program Access
And Defaults applet don't work.
From: VanguardLH on
VanguardLH wrote:

> While you might try continuing an old January thread that many folks won't
> see (I don't keep them after 8 days in my newsreader), I would suggest
> starting your own new thread if resetting or using the Set Program Access
> And Defaults applet don't work.

Oops, see you did start a new thread (although you referred to an old thread
but gave to reference to it). So if the reset doesn't work, just reply in
this new thread to get more help.
From: charles kuchar on
I went through the steps on the microsoft 310049 again. this time I saw the
line (programs/default web browser) that said my "Internet Explorer (64-bit)
cannot be the default browser." now I don't know what to do. charlie