From: charles kuchar on
version: 8.0.6001.18882
cipher strength: 256-bit
product id: 01404-997-7332157-00203
update versions: 0

the microsoft bit about XP 64 said to do that but I could not understand
which one was running. is that from the cipher strength?

From: VanguardLH on
charles kuchar wrote:

> version: 8.0.6001.18882
> cipher strength: 256-bit
> product id: 01404-997-7332157-00203
> update versions: 0

At the end of the Version line, it should say "64-bit" for the 64-bit
version. If it is missing, it is the 32-bit version. Bit width is
independent of cipher strength.

I don't know how you started IE8. Right-click on the desktop and use the
New -> Shortcut menu to create a URL shortcut on your desktop, say to
http://www.google.com/. After creating the shortcut, double-click on it.
Then go into IE's Help -> About menu and look at the Version to see if
"64-bit" is shown. That will indicate what version of IE8 is loads by
default.

You said "the line (programs/default web browser) that said my 'Internet
Explorer (64-bit) cannot be the default browser.'" Just WHERE did you see
that? Is that a comment or a user-configurable option? My guess that is
just a comment to let you know that the option to make IE your default web
browser (a single checkbox) will use the 324-bit version by default, not the
64-bit version.

Did you ever follow the instructions to use the "Set Program Access and
Defaults" applet?
From: charles kuchar on
I think how it said 64-bit now is because I edited the command in regedit
and I got the command maybe from slipstick that there was not (x86) in
there. that was after I went through the steps from the reset of options in
internet explorer 8. the line I edited did not have the (x86) so I removed
that but that was after all the steps of setting defaults of outlook and
ie8. I got this computer in new in january still in the manufacturing box,
immediately removed all references to google because I don't like them,
installed office 2003 because I own it already, and installed the outlook
connector to go to email like on my desktop. but I have never been able to
get to links from the email and the desktop works fine. I probably
installed ie8 right in the beginning when the laptop was first booted up and
recommended it, I would have followed the directions. yesterday I went
through all the steps in the 310049 after I downloaded the command key from
the desktop and updated the laptop. then I didn't get the 64-bit message
anymore. I am ready to remove ie8 and reinstall it if it would help.
charlie

From: charles kuchar on
You said "the line (programs/default web browser) that said my 'Internet
Explorer (64-bit) cannot be the default browser.'" Just WHERE did you see
that? Is that a comment or a user-configurable option? My guess that is
just a comment to let you know that the option to make IE your default web
browser (a single checkbox) will use the 324-bit version by default, not the
64-bit version.

I finally found out where that 'Internet Explorer (64-bit) cannot be the
default brouser" is. when I use control panel to get to internet options
(because I cannot reset when internet explorer is going) and click on
programs, it is the bottom link, just after the box you click so it checks
if it is the default browser. and that is probably what I though I was
running because the links don't work. I just went back to slipstick and did
the following.

(from link) Windows XP and Vista allow you to control program defaults
through Control Panel. If the above methods fail, use this method to set the
default browser.

In Windows XP, go to Add and Remove Programs, Set Program Access and
Defaults. In "Choose a default web browser", check on the "Internet
Explorer" option and click the OK button

In Vista, access the Default Programs applet from the Start menu or Control
panel. Click on the "Set program access and computer defaults" (last option)
then expand Custom. In "Choose a default web browser", check on the
"Internet Explorer" option and click the OK button.

still no effect...

ready to uninstall ie8 and reinstall. then upgrade from vista to windows 7
but I am trying to keep vista running... charlie

From: charles kuchar on
finally got it working. slipstick said to put in the values in local
computer but when I looked in my desktop, there were no keys there for htm
or html or shtml so I deleted them out. now it is working fine. I won't
have to uninstall and reinstall ie8. thanks for the help though. charlie