From: Wally on
On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 16:39:30 -0800, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
wrote:

>On 2/7/2010 3:07 PM, editor(a)netpath.net wrote:
>> Best moderately-priced (not white "L" series) walking-around zoom for
>> Canon 7D?
>
>I don't know Canon gear but that's a spec for a film lens, full format.
>On a cropped camera, that will give zero wide angle, just normal view to
>actually very long tele. You probably want something like a 18-135 to
>match the 28-200 film lens spec. The 18-200 'digital' lenses are
>generally not that good at 18 or 200.

What he said. Amazing how many people still live in a 35mm world.
Hence also expressions like "full frame", like 35mm is a standard size
and the implication that everything else sub-standard.

But if you really want 28-200mm, it will work...

The 18-55mm IS kit lens works great for many, but others malign it for
being a mere kit lens. The more expensive 17-85mm attracts much less
criticism but is no better optically than the kit.

There's also the 18-135mm, which is closer to the range of the 28-200
when put on the smaller frame cameras, and is also in the same price
range. I have not tried either one, but have heard they are in the
consumer quality range -- same as the 17-85.

By the way, the 7D sucks for landscape photography. Check out Darwin
Wiggett's review.

Wally.
From: Ray Fischer on
editor(a)netpath.net <editor(a)netpath.net> wrote:
>Best moderately-priced (not white "L" series) walking-around zoom for
>Canon 7D?

"Best"?

The kit lens, the 28mm-135 is a fine lens, and about half the usual
price if you buy it with the camera. But it's a bit long.
The 15-85 is similar except wider and more expensive. Both have ]image stabilization.

You can see all of Canon's lenses (and cameras) here:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=111

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Ofnuts on
On 08/02/2010 04:38, Wally wrote:

> The 18-55mm IS kit lens works great for many, but others malign it for
> being a mere kit lens. The more expensive 17-85mm attracts much less
> criticism but is no better optically than the kit.

I do have the 18-55 IS and while it is on the whole a very fine lens for
the price, I recently found that its distortion at 18mm is quite visible
and too complex to correct by software (it's not a plain
barrel/pincushion distortion). OTOH Canon announced a "new" 17-85 with
the 7D, that is said to be better that the previous one.

--
Bertrand
From: DanP on
On Feb 8, 3:38 am, Wally <Wa...(a)luxx.com> wrote:

> By the way, the 7D sucks for landscape photography. Check out Darwin
> Wiggett's review.
>
> Wally.

That site maintains 1000D is better than 7D with the same TS lens.
I cannot undestand why he did not use a standar kit lens.
And then goes on to compare the 7D with a G11 and say IQ is the same.

See this
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/(appareil1)/329%7C0/(appareil2)/268%7C0/(appareil3)/334%7C0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Canon/(brand2)/Canon/(brand3)/Canon

DanP
From: Ofnuts on
On 08/02/2010 13:56, DanP wrote:
> On Feb 8, 3:38 am, Wally<Wa...(a)luxx.com> wrote:
>
>> By the way, the 7D sucks for landscape photography. Check out Darwin
>> Wiggett's review.
>>
>> Wally.
>
> That site maintains 1000D is better than 7D with the same TS lens.
> I cannot undestand why he did not use a standar kit lens.
> And then goes on to compare the 7D with a G11 and say IQ is the same.
>
> See this
> http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/(appareil1)/329%7C0/(appareil2)/268%7C0/(appareil3)/334%7C0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Canon/(brand2)/Canon/(brand3)/Canon

You are one of these DSLRs minions and the P&S Troll will be there
shortly to demonstrates the falsehood of these measures that are
obviously made by pretend photographers(*) who have never used any camera.

(*) who also happen to be cheese-eating surrendering monkeys, and so
cannot be trusted with such important work.
--
Bertrand