From: editor on
Best moderately-priced (not white "L" series) walking-around zoom for
Canon 7D?
From: Paul Furman on
On 2/7/2010 3:07 PM, editor(a)netpath.net wrote:
> Best moderately-priced (not white "L" series) walking-around zoom for
> Canon 7D?

I don't know Canon gear but that's a spec for a film lens, full format.
On a cropped camera, that will give zero wide angle, just normal view to
actually very long tele. You probably want something like a 18-135 to
match the 28-200 film lens spec. The 18-200 'digital' lenses are
generally not that good at 18 or 200.
From: John McWilliams on
Paul Furman wrote:
> On 2/7/2010 3:07 PM, editor(a)netpath.net wrote:
>> Best moderately-priced (not white "L" series) walking-around zoom for
>> Canon 7D?
>
> I don't know Canon gear but that's a spec for a film lens, full format.
> On a cropped camera, that will give zero wide angle, just normal view to
> actually very long tele. You probably want something like a 18-135 to
> match the 28-200 film lens spec. The 18-200 'digital' lenses are
> generally not that good at 18 or 200.

I really like my 24-105 ƒ4.0 L lens. It's black, and has IS. I tend to
keep it on my 5D, though I've also used it on my 20D.

--
John McWilliams
From: Peter on
"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
> On 2/7/2010 3:07 PM, editor(a)netpath.net wrote:
>> Best moderately-priced (not white "L" series) walking-around zoom for
>> Canon 7D?
>
> I don't know Canon gear but that's a spec for a film lens, full format. On
> a cropped camera, that will give zero wide angle, just normal view to
> actually very long tele. You probably want something like a 18-135 to
> match the 28-200 film lens spec. The 18-200 'digital' lenses are generally
> not that good at 18 or 200.

I use my Nikon 18 - 200 G strictly as a light weight walk around lens. It
has lots of faults: the zoom creeps, it is not really sharp, nor is it a
real 200. But it is fairly free of chromatic aberrations and I have done
reasonably well in CC competitions with it.

--
Peter

From: J�rgen Exner on
Ghett Rheel <grheel(a)someplace.net> wrote:
[whatever]

You really never run out of fake names, do you?

*PLONK* again

jue