From: Adrian on
"The Todal" <deadmailbox(a)beeb.net> gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

>>> I don't know how Windows knows the APN as "internet" and the username
>>> and password as "web" since I have never had to input those details.

>> Remember when you first set it all up, and installed "some stuff" from
>> a driver CD?

> Are you saying that a default Windows 7 installation contains these
> settings for a BlackBerry? I have never installed any BlackBerry
> software on the Windows laptop.

You have. You might not have done it intentionally or knowingly, but you
certainly have. Maybe via WindowsUpdate, maybe from the Blackberry itself.
From: The Todal on

"Adrian" <toomany2cvs(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> "The Todal" <deadmailbox(a)beeb.net> gurgled happily, sounding much like
> they were saying:

>>> Remember when you first set it all up, and installed "some stuff" from
>>> a driver CD?
>
>> Are you saying that a default Windows 7 installation contains these
>> settings for a BlackBerry? I have never installed any BlackBerry
>> software on the Windows laptop.
>
> You have. You might not have done it intentionally or knowingly, but you
> certainly have. Maybe via WindowsUpdate, maybe from the Blackberry itself.

This is plausible to me, given that I am no expert in these matters.
However, all Windows updates were before I connected the BlackBerry, and I
simply established a Bluetooth connection and immediately the laptop could
surf the internet.

Obviously Macs are nicer and better in all sorts of ways, but it is a pity
that they don't connect up in the same user-friendly way. I have dipped into
several blogs and forums where people have asked the same question that I'm
asking and I have the impression that there isn't a Vodafone customer in the
UK who has managed to connect successfully though several people seem to
have connected abroad or with other BlackBerry networks. I also found what
appeared to be a Vodafone page saying that Vodafone don't support a
Blackberry internet connection but no date was given and I was hoping it was
out of date.

From: Gavin on

http://www.eekafreek.com/2009/06/25/tether-a-macbook-to-a-blackberry/

--
Gavin.  ACSP 10.5
http://www.stoof.co.uk

From: Adrian C on
On 27/07/2010 17:29, The Todal wrote:
> This is plausible to me, given that I am no expert in these matters.
> However, all Windows updates were before I connected the BlackBerry, and I
> simply established a Bluetooth connection and immediately the laptop could
> surf the internet.

Ah, penny drops - which Blackberry?

Your Windows 7 PC supports bluetooth PAN services (AKA Bluetooth Network
Connection), and your blackberry has paired using this rather than using
bluetooth tethering over a virtual serial port (AKA Dial-up networking
feature from the last century).

Have a read of the following
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=92345

--