From: The Todal on
I have a BlackBerry from Vodafone. My Windows laptop connects to it via
Bluetooth and, without any hassle, uses the BlackBerry's internet connection
to give me internet on the laptop when I have no other network to connect
to.

I have not yet managed to connect my MacBook (running Snow Leopard) to the
BlackBerry in the same way - the Bluetooth connection is successful but it
simply can't be persuaded to connect to the internet. I have looked on
numerous websites and attempted to follow the instructions. The MacBook sees
the BlackBerry as a modem and wants a username and password for the network,
and I cannot understand why that should be necessary for a Mac but not for a
Windows machine.

Anyway - has anyone managed it, and can they offer a set of instructions
that works (with Vodafone, in the UK)? Thanks.

From: Adrian C on
On 27/07/2010 10:08, The Todal wrote:
> I have a BlackBerry from Vodafone. My Windows laptop connects to it via
> Bluetooth and, without any hassle, uses the BlackBerry's internet connection
> to give me internet on the laptop when I have no other network to connect
> to.
>
> I have not yet managed to connect my MacBook (running Snow Leopard) to the
> BlackBerry in the same way - the Bluetooth connection is successful but it
> simply can't be persuaded to connect to the internet. I have looked on
> numerous websites and attempted to follow the instructions. The MacBook sees
> the BlackBerry as a modem and wants a username and password for the network,
> and I cannot understand why that should be necessary for a Mac but not for a
> Windows machine.

it's necesary for both. In Windows, authentication is stored in the
active 'dial-up networking' connection profile.

For vodaphone, the APN is "internet" and the username and password is "web"

Google "blackberry apn vodafone"

Also read the small print in your data contract. A Blackberry BIS
connection and an APN (tethering) connection can have different data use
charges.

--
Adrian C
From: The Todal on

"Adrian C" <email(a)here.invalid> wrote in message
> On 27/07/2010 10:08, The Todal wrote:
>> I have a BlackBerry from Vodafone. My Windows laptop connects to it via
>> Bluetooth and, without any hassle, uses the BlackBerry's internet
>> connection
>> to give me internet on the laptop when I have no other network to connect
>> to.
>>
>> I have not yet managed to connect my MacBook (running Snow Leopard) to
>> the
>> BlackBerry in the same way - the Bluetooth connection is successful but
>> it
>> simply can't be persuaded to connect to the internet. I have looked on
>> numerous websites and attempted to follow the instructions. The MacBook
>> sees
>> the BlackBerry as a modem and wants a username and password for the
>> network,
>> and I cannot understand why that should be necessary for a Mac but not
>> for a
>> Windows machine.
>
> it's necesary for both. In Windows, authentication is stored in the active
> 'dial-up networking' connection profile.

I don't know how Windows knows the APN as "internet" and the username and
password as "web" since I have never had to input those details.

> For vodaphone, the APN is "internet" and the username and password is
> "web"
>
> Google "blackberry apn vodafone"

Yes, I googled it, I tried those settings and they don't work. I get a
message "connecting...." which hangs for about a minute and then
"disconnecting".

So has anyone actually made it work with Vodafone, or does everyone try very
hard and eventually give up or use a Windows laptop?

> Also read the small print in your data contract. A Blackberry BIS
> connection and an APN (tethering) connection can have different data use
> charges.

I'd happily pay a thousand pounds a minute if it would connect me :)

From: Adrian on
"The Todal" <deadmailbox(a)beeb.net> gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

> I don't know how Windows knows the APN as "internet" and the username
> and password as "web" since I have never had to input those details.

Remember when you first set it all up, and installed "some stuff" from a
driver CD?
From: The Todal on

"Adrian" <toomany2cvs(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> "The Todal" <deadmailbox(a)beeb.net> gurgled happily, sounding much like
> they were saying:
>
>> I don't know how Windows knows the APN as "internet" and the username
>> and password as "web" since I have never had to input those details.
>
> Remember when you first set it all up, and installed "some stuff" from a
> driver CD?

Are you saying that a default Windows 7 installation contains these settings
for a BlackBerry? I have never installed any BlackBerry software on the
Windows laptop.