From: Ben Myers on
RnR wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 19:32:12 -0400, Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Boris wrote:
>>> Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in

>>> Hey, thanks a lot Ben.
>>>
>>> 1. You reinforce my own thoughts about the WD Lifeguard Tools (I've
>>> never used them before because I never felt 'quite right' about them).
>>>
>>> 2. The CD envelpoe had never been opened, and meticulously stored. But,
>>> it woudn't be the first time I've had a new CD with an imperfection.
>>> Just had an LG driver CD, fresh from LG, that was bad out of the
>>> envelope.
>>>
>>> 3. I agree. I used that Inspiron 6400 "reinstallation" CD to do a clean
>>> install on an ancient Dimension 4550. I had the original disks for the
>>> 4550, but they did not have SP2, while the i6400 disks did. I then used
>>> the utility (?) CD from Dell to install chipset (first), etc. drivers.
>> Well, as I said, the floppy version of the WD Data Lifeguard Tools DOES
>> work properly. Of course, you need a floppy drive to use it. I keep a
>> couple of USB floppy drives around for this and for updating BIOSes,
>> etc. And Data Lifeguard has capabilities similar to other mfrs for
>> checking "goodness" of a hard drive and replacing bad sectors with
>> spares... Ben Myers
>

> A year or so ago I debated whether to get a USB ext. floppy drive but
> decided I didn't really need it. I know as the years go by I'm right
> but once in a blue moon I run across these ancient softwares still
> only written for floppies and I still have at least 100 or more 1.44
> floppies around my home. What do you think about the ext floppy
> drive?

External floppy drives work fine, but they seem to be slower than
internal ones. Or maybe I've gotten used to much faster devices. I've
used Toshiba and NEC, and they are both OK... Ben Myers
From: WSZsr on
The i6400 XP CD has the SATA driver integrated. The others do not. That's
why it worked and the old ones didn't

From: Boris on
"WSZsr" <nospam(a)hotmail.com> wrote in

> The i6400 XP CD has the SATA driver integrated. The others do not.
> That's why it worked and the old ones didn't

Ah, thanks!

From: Ben Myers on
WSZsr wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> My dad would like to drive down and pickup his desktop tomorrow
>> (Saturday).
>> I should ask him to bring down his Canon AIO printer and driver CD so
>> I can
>> install it.
>>
>> Long story, all to ask this:
>>
>> Anyone know why, even though POST and BIOS showed the new WD hard drive,
>> 1. the WD Lifeguard Tools CD wouldn't load
>> 2. when uisng my own "Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 DVD
>> with Update Rollup 2", that came with my own Dell E510, Windows
>> started to
>> set itself up, but then I got the "A problem has occurred STOP error
>> (above)
>> 3. when using my own "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
>> Reinstallation CD" that came with my Inspiron i6400 laptop from January
>> 2007, I was able to complete the Windows XP Home setup?

Yes, it is well-known that Microsoft slip-streamed SATA support into SP2
to keep their OEM customers happy, and to keep them from going
completely nuts installing Windows on a system with no floppy drive.

.... Ben Myers
From: Tom Scales on

Careful though. Some XP SP2 Dell CDs HAVE the SATA drivers, some DON'T