From: Wesley Vogel on
Hi Andre,

All I know about the boot.ini tab missing from msconfig is what Ramesh had
on the link I posted.

There are two other ways to get bootlogging.
1. Start in the Windows Advanced Options Menu and select Enable Boot
Logging.

a. (Re)start your computer.
b. When the machine first starts again it will generally list some
equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard
drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key
repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options
menu.
c. Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to Enable Boot
Logging, when you see the following menu and hit Enter...
----------

Windows Advanced Options Menu
Please select an option:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA Mode
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent setting that worked)
Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only)
Debugging Mode

Start Windows Normally
Reboot
Return to OS Choices Menu

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.
----------

2. Edit the boot.ini.
a. Add the /bootlog switch.

HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289022

The Purpose of the Boot.ini File in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314081

Safe-Mode Boot Switches for Windows Boot.ini File
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239780

For example, my boot.ini...

[boot loader]
timeout=5
[operating systems]
Professional" /fastdetect /sos /NoExecute=OptIn

For example, my boot.ini with the /bootlog switch...

[boot loader]
timeout=5
[operating systems]
Professional" /fastdetect /sos /bootlog /NoExecute=OptIn
-----

/bootlog = Enables boot logging to a file called %systemroot%\Ntbtlog.txt.

C:\WINDOWS\Ntbtlog.txt

/BOOTLOG - This option tells Windows XP to log everything it does during the
boot process to the c:\windows\ntbtlog.txt file. This can be useful for
diagnosing startup problems by seeing exactly where the boot process is
hanging.

Note
[[In safe mode, new boot log entries are appended to the existing
Ntbtlog.txt file.]]

Boot Logging
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prmb_tol_rpsc.asp

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:u3vhd4fwFHA.904(a)tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Andre De Clercq <andre,declercq(a)pandora.be> hunted and pecked:

From: Andre De Clercq on
Thank you very much Wes.

> [...]
>> In the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig I
>> have
>> REG_SZ (value not set). In the subfolders under MSconfig in the registry
>> have "special permissions" checked when I check for "permissions". Is
>> this normal?
>>
>> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Andre,
>>>
>>> Did you look at >>
>>>
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig
>>>
>>> There should *not* be a value named Boot.ini in the right hand pane.
>>>
>>> All I have is (Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:u$HSPoRwFHA.916(a)TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
>>> Andre De Clercq <andre,declercq(a)pandora.be> hunted and pecked:

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Removing Bearshare
Next: Memorex cd-rw 52maxx driver