From: Tzortzakakis Dimitris on

? "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> ?????? ??? ??????
> "Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message
>> Sometimes, it's tough keeping peace in the family ...
>>
>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Boys.jpg
>>
>> Take Care,
>> Dudley
>>

> Hope he as faking the wood chopping, too. I saw a guy wind up with the ax
> in his leg, while holding the log with his foot.
> I know I sound like an old fart, but that is a very unsafe chopping
> position.
.....Or wear safety boots, like I do when I work on site. The ones with a
piece of steel in the front.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

From: Peter on
"Tzortzakakis Dimitris" <noone(a)nospam.com> wrote in message

> ? "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> ?????? ??? ??????
>> "Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message
>>> Sometimes, it's tough keeping peace in the family ...
>>>
>>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Boys.jpg
>>>
>>> Take Care,
>>> Dudley
>>>

>> Hope he as faking the wood chopping, too. I saw a guy wind up with the ax
>> in his leg, while holding the log with his foot.
>> I know I sound like an old fart, but that is a very unsafe chopping
>> position.
> ....Or wear safety boots, like I do when I work on site. The ones with a
> piece of steel in the front.

The steel doesn't protect your leg. A really sharp ax and proper technique
will go a lot further.

--
Peter

From: Joel Connor on
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 17:37:23 +0300, "Tzortzakakis Dimitris"
<noone(a)nospam.com> wrote:

>? "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> ?????? ??? ??????
>> "Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message
>>> Sometimes, it's tough keeping peace in the family ...
>>>
>>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Boys.jpg
>>>
>>> Take Care,
>>> Dudley
>>>

>> Hope he as faking the wood chopping, too. I saw a guy wind up with the ax
>> in his leg, while holding the log with his foot.
>> I know I sound like an old fart, but that is a very unsafe chopping
>> position.
>....Or wear safety boots, like I do when I work on site. The ones with a
>piece of steel in the front.

Steel-toed boots have been found to cause more injury than they prevent in
construction scenarios. Reason being is that anything heavy enough to
damage your foot badly will smash and crimp the steel in the shoe deep into
the flesh and bones of your foot, the edges cutting through your bones.
It's like holding a knife-edge next to your foot and waiting for something
to push it through like shear edge. Without that false security there, you
will be more cautious to not get into those situations in the first place,
taking unnecessary risks. And should something smash your foot, you're more
likely not to permanently lose any of your toes or bones. You can remove
the boot for immediate access to the injury, rather than wondering how
you're going to get that smashed and crimped steel in the shoe, now cutting
deeply into your bones, unbent so you can remove the boot from your foot.

From: John McWilliams on
Joel Connor wrote:

> Steel-toed boots have been found to cause more injury than they prevent in
> construction scenarios. Reason being is that anything heavy enough to
> damage your foot badly will smash and crimp the steel in the shoe deep into
> the flesh and bones of your foot, the edges cutting through your bones.
> It's like holding a knife-edge next to your foot and waiting for something
> to push it through like shear edge. Without that false security there, you
> will be more cautious to not get into those situations in the first place,
> taking unnecessary risks. And should something smash your foot, you're more
> likely not to permanently lose any of your toes or bones. You can remove
> the boot for immediate access to the injury, rather than wondering how
> you're going to get that smashed and crimped steel in the shoe, now cutting
> deeply into your bones, unbent so you can remove the boot from your foot.

Really.

Anything heavy enough to crimp the steel cup over the toes is heavy
enough to destroy the foot, period.

The steel toe does protect against those impacts that'd hurt like hell
for weeks.

At the same time, I am open to the citing of a site that contains a
study. Can you post same, please?

--
John McWilliams
From: Dudley Hanks on

"John McWilliams" <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> Joel Connor wrote:
>

>> Steel-toed boots have been found to cause more injury than they prevent
>> in
>> construction scenarios. Reason being is that anything heavy enough to
>> damage your foot badly will smash and crimp the steel in the shoe deep
>> into
>> the flesh and bones of your foot, the edges cutting through your bones.
>> It's like holding a knife-edge next to your foot and waiting for
>> something
>> to push it through like shear edge. Without that false security there,
>> you
>> will be more cautious to not get into those situations in the first
>> place,
>> taking unnecessary risks. And should something smash your foot, you're
>> more
>> likely not to permanently lose any of your toes or bones. You can remove
>> the boot for immediate access to the injury, rather than wondering how
>> you're going to get that smashed and crimped steel in the shoe, now
>> cutting
>> deeply into your bones, unbent so you can remove the boot from your foot.
>
> Really.
>
> Anything heavy enough to crimp the steel cup over the toes is heavy enough
> to destroy the foot, period.
>
> The steel toe does protect against those impacts that'd hurt like hell for
> weeks.
>
> At the same time, I am open to the citing of a site that contains a study.
> Can you post same, please?
>
> --
> John McWilliams

The myth was pretty much busted; see: