From: Dudley Hanks on

"Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message news:...

> "John McWilliams" <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Joel Connor wrote:
>>

>>> Steel-toed boots have been found to cause more injury than they prevent
>>> in
>>> construction scenarios. Reason being is that anything heavy enough to
>>> damage your foot badly will smash and crimp the steel in the shoe deep
>>> into
>>> the flesh and bones of your foot, the edges cutting through your bones.
>>> It's like holding a knife-edge next to your foot and waiting for
>>> something
>>> to push it through like shear edge. Without that false security there,
>>> you
>>> will be more cautious to not get into those situations in the first
>>> place,
>>> taking unnecessary risks. And should something smash your foot, you're
>>> more
>>> likely not to permanently lose any of your toes or bones. You can remove
>>> the boot for immediate access to the injury, rather than wondering how
>>> you're going to get that smashed and crimped steel in the shoe, now
>>> cutting
>>> deeply into your bones, unbent so you can remove the boot from your
>>> foot.
>>
>> Really.
>>
>> Anything heavy enough to crimp the steel cup over the toes is heavy
>> enough to destroy the foot, period.
>>
>> The steel toe does protect against those impacts that'd hurt like hell
>> for weeks.
>>
>> At the same time, I am open to the citing of a site that contains a
>> study. Can you post same, please?
>>
>> --
>> John McWilliams
>
> The myth was pretty much busted; see:
>
> http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/11/episode_42_steel_toe_amputatio.html
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

While the myth might be busted, it has a lot of influence.

Sioux Strong, a former elephant trainer who worked for Michael Jackson at
"Never Never Land," once told me that she wouldn't wear steel toes when
working with the big boys. She opted for runners in order to give herself
every advantage in getting her tootsies out of the way, as quickly as
possible.

According to Sioux, a number of States allow ordinary footwear in cases of
extreme risk, for this mainly mythical reason.

Take Care,
Dudley