From: Baron Thener on
Dear Merlin,
I just Demote one of the Domain Controller and replace a new DC. I've
already move all the DC roles into other DC server before I demote the DC.
The demoted DC is also a DNS server but I also install the DNS server in all
of the DC.

Please advise.

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 18:11:05 -0700, Baron Thener
<BaronThener(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Yes, I've restarted the server and even all of the mail server in all the
>branches. but it still happen. do you have other advice?

The last thing I'd check before taking any other action would be to
see if the ISAPI filters are installed and running on the web site.

I don't have a FE server handy to look at, but I believe you need the
ASP.NET and, if you're using RPC-over-HTTPS, the RpcProxy filters.

You coujld also just try unchecking the FE box and clicking OK. Then
ISAPI filters in IIS.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: Baron Thener on
I've also tried uncheck and checked the "this is a front end server" check
box and restarted the server. but it don't have any effect the OWA keep
pointing to the branch mail server. is there any other way to see whether the
ISAPI filters are instaled? Is there any connection between this and a DNS
server? because I recently demoted a DC with a DNS server but I already move
all the DC roles and installed a new DNS server on the new DC. and for your
information we have 3 DC and all of them have a DNS server.

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 20:32:02 -0700, Baron Thener
<BaronThener(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I've also tried uncheck and checked the "this is a front end server" check
>box and restarted the server. but it don't have any effect the OWA keep
>pointing to the branch mail server. is there any other way to see whether the
>ISAPI filters are instaled?

Check the IIS manager property page for the site.

>Is there any connection between this and a DNS
>server?

I doubt it.

>>because I recently demoted a DC with a DNS server but I already move
>all the DC roles and installed a new DNS server on the new DC. and for your
>information we have 3 DC and all of them have a DNS server.

Do you have a backup of the metabase? Maybe someone (or something)
altered it (wouldn't be the 1st that's happened).

If all else fails, flatten the machine and reinstall -- or restore it
from a backup you made while it was still working. Or build another
one next to it and then switch the DNS when you're happy with it.

Rebuilding a FE server shouldn't be a big deal since there's really no
stateful information stored on it.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP