From: John McWilliams on
John Navas wrote:

> If severely tilted horizons are your thing, then good on ya.
> My own taste runs to horizontal horizons; e.g.,
> <http://i50.tinypic.com/15quiw8.jpg>

It's very close! The left hand height of the Bay is about 1/64" higher
than the right hand side.
Most would not even notice this, but I've been shooting water scenes for
50 years.
I'll be quick to say that John is a superb photog of aquatic scenes,
esp. SF Bay sailing and racing.

--
john mcwilliams
From: Bill Graham on

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
> John Navas wrote:
>> On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 14:21:34 -0500, in
>> <vtes269ubtlia9uun46dv1b7jln148v6go(a)4ax.com>, Kyle Abhams
>> <where(a)what.net> wrote:

>>> Tilted horizon?!?
>>>
>>> It's perfectly level. Your eyes are playing tricks on you. No doubt
>>> induced
>>> by the angles of the waves and sails.
>>>
>>> Nice "perception" you got there. I bet it reflects itself in all of your
>>> snapshots too.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure he's actually referring to the photo that started this
>> thread. ;)
>
> The sailboat one doesn't actually have a horizon, unless that shore line
> is all the same distance from the camera. The better guide would be the
> verticals on the buildings. I've shot a bunch from boats and it's really
> tough to find level sometimes.

I was referring to the crane in the pond shot, with the camera tilted so the
bird looks like he's about to slide downhill on a frozen pond.....

From: John Navas on
On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 15:08:47 -0700, in
<i0lo1h$u8o$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, John McWilliams
<jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>John Navas wrote:
>
>> If severely tilted horizons are your thing, then good on ya.
>> My own taste runs to horizontal horizons; e.g.,
>> <http://i50.tinypic.com/15quiw8.jpg>
>
>It's very close! The left hand height of the Bay is about 1/64" higher
>than the right hand side.
>Most would not even notice this, but I've been shooting water scenes for
>50 years.

LOL!

>I'll be quick to say that John is a superb photog of aquatic scenes,
>esp. SF Bay sailing and racing.

[blush] Thanks.

--
Best regards,
John

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you will see every problem as a nail."
-Abraham Maslow
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-07-02 15:56:08 -0700, John Navas <jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> said:

> On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 15:08:47 -0700, in
> <i0lo1h$u8o$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, John McWilliams
> <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> John Navas wrote:
>>
>>> If severely tilted horizons are your thing, then good on ya.
>>> My own taste runs to horizontal horizons; e.g.,
>>> <http://i50.tinypic.com/15quiw8.jpg>
>>
>> It's very close! The left hand height of the Bay is about 1/64" higher
>> than the right hand side.
>> Most would not even notice this, but I've been shooting water scenes for
>> 50 years.
>
> LOL!
>
>> I'll be quick to say that John is a superb photog of aquatic scenes,
>> esp. SF Bay sailing and racing.
>
> [blush] Thanks.

....but will you be in the Bay, or San Diego for the AC defence.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: John McWilliams on
Larry Thong wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 15:33:05 -0700, Bill Graham wrote:
>
>> I was referring to the crane in the pond shot, with the camera tilted so
>> the bird looks like he's about to slide downhill on a frozen pond.....
>
> Actually the camera was on the correct plane, I had to skew the angle in
> post so the challenged people here could get a good laugh. It seems it
> worked. :>)

In other words, y'all been trolled, whereas you should know by now.
Larry is, after all, Rita.

--
john mcwilliams
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last