From: Alan on
On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:58:07 +0200, "bsn" <bsnSnabelAoncableDoTdk>
wrote:

>Hello NG
>I have a laserprinter Brother HL-2030 on a XP sytem.
>when i try to print out from an old DOS application - nothing
>happens...frustrating...
>Hope you have an idea about this problem...
>Sensirely
>Bjarne

According to the specs, this is a GDI printer; that is you need to use
the specific Windows driver, and your DOS app won't have this.

There are workarounds.
See this page, which is about how to use WordPerfect DOS, but is
applicable to any DOS app:
<http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/anyprinter.html>

From: bsn on

"Alan" <none(a)none.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:58:07 +0200, "bsn" <bsnSnabelAoncableDoTdk>
> wrote:
>
>>Hello NG
>>I have a laserprinter Brother HL-2030 on a XP sytem.
>>when i try to print out from an old DOS application - nothing
>>happens...frustrating...
>>Hope you have an idea about this problem...
>>Sensirely
>>Bjarne
>
> According to the specs, this is a GDI printer; that is you need to use
> the specific Windows driver, and your DOS app won't have this.
>
> There are workarounds.
> See this page, which is about how to use WordPerfect DOS, but is
> applicable to any DOS app:
What is WordPerfect DOS ???
Never heard of it...

> <http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/anyprinter.html>
Thanks...
Can you guide me to a specific section that covers my problem, on the above
url ...
Bjarne

From: zakezuke on
> What is WordPerfect DOS ???
> Never heard of it...

Word Perfect was released in 1985 or so. Windows 1.0 was released late
1985 but wasn't a popular product at all. If you're not familar with
word perfect it's a word processing application, the last version I
know of for dos was 6.2 but typicaly 5.x is more common to see these
days. Basicly organizations spent alot of time making forms for word
perfect and didn't see any reason to upgrade.

Alan sugests there is no chance in hell that dos software would support
a GDI printer. As I don't know your printer personaly I must assume he
is correct. The question is does your software support postscript, if
so then you can install ghostscript which is a postscript inturperter.

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/faq.htm
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/redmon/index.htm

In simple terms... it's as if your printer speaks only Chinese. You
know how to phone someone in China (net use) but they are not likely
to understand you because you only know Danish, German, Sweedish,
Flemmish and English. Your only resolve is to find someone that knows
Chinese and whatever you can speak to translate for you. Chances are
you're more likely to find a Chinese/English speaker than a Chinese /
Flemmish one.

If your dos software supports postscript, for example the apple
laserwriter NT, you can print to a postscript printer. You can run
ghostscript which can act as a translator that can take postscript
input, and via the windows driver print to your printer.

Or

You can accept that GDI printers are not a good idea if you need dos
support and buy a printer that would be supported... one that supports
Postscript, HP, Epson, or IBM emulation.

From: bsn on

"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> skrev i en meddelelse
>> What is WordPerfect DOS ???
>> Never heard of it...
>
> Word Perfect was released in 1985 or so. Windows 1.0 was released late
> 1985 but wasn't a popular product at all. If you're not familar with
> word perfect it's a word processing application, the last version I
> know of for dos was 6.2 but typicaly 5.x is more common to see these
> days. Basicly organizations spent alot of time making forms for word
> perfect and didn't see any reason to upgrade.
Ok...
> Alan sugests there is no chance in hell that dos software would support
> a GDI printer. As I don't know your printer personaly I must assume he
> is correct. The question is does your software support postscript, if
> so then you can install ghostscript which is a postscript inturperter.
Unfortunately...

> http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/faq.htm
> http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/redmon/index.htm
>
> In simple terms... it's as if your printer speaks only Chinese. You
> know how to phone someone in China (net use) but they are not likely
> to understand you because you only know Danish, German, Sweedish,
> Flemmish and English. Your only resolve is to find someone that knows
> Chinese and whatever you can speak to translate for you. Chances are
> you're more likely to find a Chinese/English speaker than a Chinese /
> Flemmish one.
Ok...I don't want to speak Chinese...
> If your dos software supports postscript, for example the apple
> laserwriter NT, you can print to a postscript printer. You can run
> ghostscript which can act as a translator that can take postscript
> input, and via the windows driver print to your printer.
>
> Or
>
> You can accept that GDI printers are not a good idea if you need dos
> support and buy a printer that would be supported... one that supports
> Postscript, HP, Epson, or IBM emulation.
I have learned the lesson...
my pal got an older printer he gave to me, so now I can print my
dosapp...:-)
Thanks a lot for good explanation, and for helping me...
Bjarne
Denmark...

From: Davide Guolo on
bsn,

> I have a laserprinter Brother HL-2030 on a XP sytem.
> when i try to print out from an old DOS application - nothing
> happens...frustrating...

HL-2030 is a GDI printer, accordingly with
http://www.brother.com/europe/printer/info/hl2030/hl2030_spe.html

This means that DOS cannot directly print to this printer because the
printer needs an input generated by the Windows driver.

You may want to have a look at Printfil which could connect your DOS app. to
the Windows Printing System, allowing you to print to this printer, as well
as any other Windows printer.

More info and a free trial is available for download at
http://www.printfil.com

Kind regards,
Davide Guolo
Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
http://www.printfil.com
Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Canon iP4000 service manual.