From: ngreplies on
I have looked at the service manual for the ip4000 and it simply says the
following regarding the waste ink counter:

> 1. Check the waste ink amount by service print or EEPROM information.
> See 3.3 Adjustment settings (not very useful)
> and 6 Service Mode (not in the supplied document)

There is no reference whatsoever on how the end-user is able to reset the
counter.
However on careful inspection of the manual it does say that no tools are
required, and that it would take an engineer less than a minute to perform
the reset, which leads me to think that there may be either a jumper or
point to short in order to reinitialise the logic board assembly. Without
taking the printer apart I cannot comment further (and I am sorry to
disappoint you folks by refusing to strip my printer since it is only a week
old.)

I am annoyed though. Is this another ploy by the manufacturers to extort
more money from the end user by regulating when the printer will cease to
function without servicing from one of their own engineers. It does not
matter if you use OEM inks or otherwise.

It also says that the estimated lifespan of the iP4000 is estimated at 300
A4 borderless prints or 5 years whichever comes first. That is quite an
alarmingly low statistical fact.

The other facts are not too bad, but the stats seem low for photographs
since it is after all a photo printer.
Black based on 1500 chars = 7200 pages
Colour A4 @ 7.5% duty per colour pattern =5400 pages
Colour A4 Photo borderless printing =300 pages
Colour 4x6 Photo borderless printing =3600 pages
Colour Postcard Photo borderless printing 1500 pages

Could this be a misprint?

The service manual indeed suggests that the waste ink counter is stored
within the printer itself on an EEPROM. It does not indicate how the
end-user can access this or bypass this.
So to reinforce my argument, although I hope its a few years before I come
across it, it's a little devious to engineer an expiration counter which may
even be inaccurate and may not even be required if a user decides to
relocate the ink expiration tube so that it soaks away into an empty bottle.

Come to think of it... Why couldn't the printer be designed with a soakaway
drawer at the back which the user can empty or replace at their
leisure....??

Nuff sed!

From: Tony on
"ngreplies" <ngreplies(a)tdrd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>I have looked at the service manual for the ip4000 and it simply says the
>following regarding the waste ink counter:
>
>> 1. Check the waste ink amount by service print or EEPROM information.
>> See 3.3 Adjustment settings (not very useful)
>> and 6 Service Mode (not in the supplied document)
>
>There is no reference whatsoever on how the end-user is able to reset the
>counter.
>However on careful inspection of the manual it does say that no tools are
>required, and that it would take an engineer less than a minute to perform
>the reset, which leads me to think that there may be either a jumper or
>point to short in order to reinitialise the logic board assembly. Without
>taking the printer apart I cannot comment further (and I am sorry to
>disappoint you folks by refusing to strip my printer since it is only a week
>old.)
>
>I am annoyed though. Is this another ploy by the manufacturers to extort
>more money from the end user by regulating when the printer will cease to
>function without servicing from one of their own engineers. It does not
>matter if you use OEM inks or otherwise.
>
>It also says that the estimated lifespan of the iP4000 is estimated at 300
>A4 borderless prints or 5 years whichever comes first. That is quite an
>alarmingly low statistical fact.
>
>The other facts are not too bad, but the stats seem low for photographs
>since it is after all a photo printer.
>Black based on 1500 chars = 7200 pages
>Colour A4 @ 7.5% duty per colour pattern =5400 pages
>Colour A4 Photo borderless printing =300 pages
>Colour 4x6 Photo borderless printing =3600 pages
>Colour Postcard Photo borderless printing 1500 pages
>
>Could this be a misprint?
>
>The service manual indeed suggests that the waste ink counter is stored
>within the printer itself on an EEPROM. It does not indicate how the
>end-user can access this or bypass this.
>So to reinforce my argument, although I hope its a few years before I come
>across it, it's a little devious to engineer an expiration counter which may
>even be inaccurate and may not even be required if a user decides to
>relocate the ink expiration tube so that it soaks away into an empty bottle.
>
>Come to think of it... Why couldn't the printer be designed with a soakaway
>drawer at the back which the user can empty or replace at their
>leisure....??
>
>Nuff sed!

You must have a different manual to me, mine contains the following information
(modified)

Service mode

1) With the printer power turned off, while pressing the Resume/Cancel button,
press and hold the Power button. (DO NOT release the buttons.

The LED lights in green to indicate that a function is selectable.) .

2) While holding the Power button, release the Resume/Cancel button. (DO NOT
release the Power button.) .

3) While holding the Power button, press the Resume/Cancel button 2 times, and
then release both the Power and Resume/Cancel buttons.

(Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the LED lights alternately in
orange and green, starting with orange.) .

4) When the LED lights in green, press the Resume/Cancel button 4 times. (Each
time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the LED lights

alternately in orange and green, starting with orange.) .

5) Press the Power button. The LED lights in green, and the reset is performed.
(When the operation completes, the printer returns to the

menu selection mode automatically.) .

6) Press the power button to exit service mode.

Note:- if you accidentally press the Resume/Cancel button more than 4 times in
step 4 then just press the Resume/Cancel button at least 10

times and the printer will be returned to step 4 automatically.

BTW the other functions that are available at step 4 are -
press 0 times = power off
press 1 time = Service Test Print
press 2 times = EEPROM information print
press 3 times = EEPROM initialisation
press 5 times = Destination settings (country information, do not play with
this)
press 6 times = Printhead Deep Cleaning
press 7,8 or 9 times = not used in servicing so do not play with these.
press 10 times or more = return to menu (step 4)

Also see previous thread "Canon iP4000 Waste ink resetter."

Tony

From: measekite on

ngreplies wrote:

>I have looked at the service manual for the ip4000 and it simply says the
>following regarding the waste ink counter:
>

>>1. Check the waste ink amount by service print or EEPROM information.
>>See 3.3 Adjustment settings (not very useful)
>>and 6 Service Mode (not in the supplied document)
>>

>There is no reference whatsoever on how the end-user is able to reset the
>counter.

BECAUSE YOU WILL HAVE INKY STINKY ALL OVER THE PLACE

From: ngreplies on
Measy... get a life...

From: ngreplies on
Please can you tell me where you got your service manual from, because that
is definitely not in mine which I downloaded from a link in a previous
thread.
Link provided was....
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/equipment_type/Printers_22.html

Thanks in advance for any feedback.