From: C on
Steve Pearce wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:53:53 +0200, "Balzer"
> <balzer(a)nospam.microsoft.news> wrote:
>
>> Is the malware or some "legit" application and how to remove it?
>
> Almost certainly what you seeing the "Browser Choice" update that
> Microsoft was forced to produce for EU countries:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002

Hmm, I have Windows XP Pro and am in the EU but I didn't get that update.

From: SC Tom on

"C" <c(a)nospamers.com.invalid> wrote in message
> Steve Pearce wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:53:53 +0200, "Balzer"
>> <balzer(a)nospam.microsoft.news> wrote:
>>
>>> Is the malware or some "legit" application and how to remove it?
>>
>> Almost certainly what you seeing the "Browser Choice" update that
>> Microsoft was forced to produce for EU countries:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002
>
> Hmm, I have Windows XP Pro and am in the EU but I didn't get that update.

According to this article
http://www.ghacks.net/2010/02/22/windows-browser-choice-screen-will-cause-confusion-in-europe/
they're starting in England and Belgium first, then branching out to the
rest of the EU.
--
SC Tom

From: C on
SC Tom wrote:

> "C" <c(a)nospamers.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> Steve Pearce wrote:

>>> Almost certainly what you seeing the "Browser Choice" update that
>>> Microsoft was forced to produce for EU countries:
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002
>>
>> Hmm, I have Windows XP Pro and am in the EU but I didn't get that update.
>>
>> --
>
> According to this article
> http://www.ghacks.net/2010/02/22/windows-browser-choice-screen-will-cause-confusion-in-europe/
> they're starting in England and Belgium first, then branching out to the
> rest of the EU.

That explains it. Course, I already have Chrome, Firefox, Seamonkey and
IE8 ... and no desire for Opera.

From: Jose on
On Mar 19, 11:34 am, "SC Tom" <s...(a)tom.net> wrote:
> "C" <c...(a)nospamers.com.invalid> wrote in message

> > Steve Pearce wrote:

> >> Almost certainly what you seeing the "Browser Choice" update that
> >> Microsoft was forced to produce for EU countries:
>
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002
>
> > Hmm, I have Windows XP Pro and am in the EU but I didn't get that update.
>
> > --
>
> According to this articlehttp://www.ghacks.net/2010/02/22/windows-browser-choice-screen-will-c...
> they're starting in England and Belgium first, then branching out to the
> rest of the EU.
> --
> SC Tom

You have to be in what is considered a member country.
From: Jose on
On Mar 19, 8:09 am, "Balzer" <bal...(a)nospam.microsoft.news> wrote:
> "SC Tom" <s...(a)tom.net> wrote in message

> > "Balzer" <bal...(a)nospam.microsoft.news> wrote in message
> >> After turning PC on, got HTML window prompting for BrowserChoice. The
> >> windows looks like a fake scam window. I closed window. Also, Shortcut
> >> icon "Browser Choice"  has been added on Desktop, with target path
> >> C:\WINDOWS\system32\browserchoice.exe /launch
>
> >> Is the malware or some "legit" application and how to remove it?
>
> > Read this:
> >http://www.ghacks.net/2010/02/22/windows-browser-choice-screen-will-c...
>
> > and peruse these:
> >http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=browser+choice+virus&a...
>
> > Thank you, EU :-)
> > --
> > SC Tom

> Since I already use Firefox, I don't need to install anything repeatedly.
> Seems, it will ask me to Select web browser on every reboot? Strange method.
> Is it possible to remove ot uncheck this feature? Didn't find it in msconfig
> utility.
>
> Regards,
> Balzer

Here is one method to "manage" it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2019411

I think I would remove all traces of it instead of managing it.