From: Balzer on
After turning PC on, got HTML window prompting for BrowserChoice. The
windows looks like a fake scam window. I closed window. Also, Shortcut icon
"Browser Choice" has been added on Desktop, with target path
C:\WINDOWS\system32\browserchoice.exe /launch

Is the malware or some "legit" application and how to remove it?

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Balzer" <balzer(a)nospam.microsoft.news>

| After turning PC on, got HTML window prompting for BrowserChoice. The
| windows looks like a fake scam window. I closed window. Also, Shortcut icon
| "Browser Choice" has been added on Desktop, with target path
| C:\WINDOWS\system32\browserchoice.exe /launch

| Is the malware or some "legit" application and how to remove it?

Please submit a sample of "browserchoice" to Virus Total --
http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html
The submission will then be tested against many different AV vendor's scanners.
That will give you an idea what it is and who recognizes it. In addition Virus
Total will provide the sample to all participating vendors.

You can also submit a suspect, one at a time, via the following email URL...
mailto:scan(a)virustotal.com?subject=SCAN

When you get the report, please post back the exact results.

--
Dave

From: SC Tom on

"Balzer" <balzer(a)nospam.microsoft.news> wrote in message
> After turning PC on, got HTML window prompting for BrowserChoice. The
> windows looks like a fake scam window. I closed window. Also, Shortcut
> icon "Browser Choice" has been added on Desktop, with target path
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\browserchoice.exe /launch
>
> Is the malware or some "legit" application and how to remove it?

Read this:
http://www.ghacks.net/2010/02/22/windows-browser-choice-screen-will-cause-confusion-in-europe/

and peruse these:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=browser+choice+virus&aq=5&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=browser+choice+&gs_rfai=

Thank you, EU :-)
--
SC Tom

From: Steve Pearce on
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:53:53 +0200, "Balzer"
<balzer(a)nospam.microsoft.news> wrote:

>Is the malware or some "legit" application and how to remove it?

Almost certainly what you seeing the "Browser Choice" update that
Microsoft was forced to produce for EU countries:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002
From: Balzer on

"SC Tom" <sc(a)tom.net> wrote in message

> "Balzer" <balzer(a)nospam.microsoft.news> wrote in message
>> After turning PC on, got HTML window prompting for BrowserChoice. The
>> windows looks like a fake scam window. I closed window. Also, Shortcut
>> icon "Browser Choice" has been added on Desktop, with target path
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\browserchoice.exe /launch
>>
>> Is the malware or some "legit" application and how to remove it?
>>

> Read this:
> http://www.ghacks.net/2010/02/22/windows-browser-choice-screen-will-cause-confusion-in-europe/
>
> and peruse these:
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=browser+choice+virus&aq=5&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=browser+choice+&gs_rfai=
>
> Thank you, EU :-)
> --
> SC Tom

Since I already use Firefox, I don't need to install anything repeatedly.
Seems, it will ask me to Select web browser on every reboot? Strange method.
Is it possible to remove ot uncheck this feature? Didn't find it in msconfig
utility.

Regards,
Balzer