From: Andrew Hamilton on
I'm using Quicken 2010 Premier,and I'm trying to create a budget and a
set of reports.

I would like separate budget reports that hide and show subcategories
(from a report: Customize, Advanced tab)

For obvious reasons, I prefer to develop budgets at the category level
as much as possible. When I run a budget report that hides
subcategories, I get a single line item for each expense category, as
well as the budget and actual amounts. This is good.

However, if I show categories, for each category, there is an "Other"
subcategory with the budget amount that I assigned at the category
level. Is there any way to show this budgeted amount at the category
level?

-AH
From: John Pollard on
Andrew Hamilton wrote:
> I'm using Quicken 2010 Premier,and I'm trying to create a budget and a
> set of reports.
>
> I would like separate budget reports that hide and show subcategories
> (from a report: Customize, Advanced tab)
>
> For obvious reasons, I prefer to develop budgets at the category level
> as much as possible. When I run a budget report that hides
> subcategories, I get a single line item for each expense category, as
> well as the budget and actual amounts. This is good.
>
> However, if I show categories, for each category, there is an "Other"
> subcategory with the budget amount that I assigned at the category
> level.

> Is there any way to show this budgeted amount
> at the category level?

In a word, no. Except, as you have noticed, when subcategories are
hidden.

To avoid seeing the "Other" subcategory, don't use a parent category in
actual transactions or budgets. Parent category amounts are assigned to
that "Other" pseudo-subcategory for reporting.

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: Andrew Hamilton on
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 15:58:19 -0500, "John Pollard"
<8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>> Is there any way to show this budgeted amount
>> at the category level?
>
>In a word, no. Except, as you have noticed, when subcategories are
>hidden.
>
>To avoid seeing the "Other" subcategory, don't use a parent category in
>actual transactions or budgets. Parent category amounts are assigned to
>that "Other" pseudo-subcategory for reporting.

Thanks.