From: TomYoung on
Hi all:

Somewhere along the line the Find function has changed in my QD2010
program. Where the Find function used to do its search in the same
field (e.g., Payee, Category, etc.) in which the cursor was located,
it now searches in "All fields" irrespective of the cursor's
position. Did an update make this change? If so, why?

Tom Young
From: Han on
TomYoung <sombodee(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:45c72381-64ae-476a-aedd-
a545abb79301(a)v35g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

> Hi all:
>
> Somewhere along the line the Find function has changed in my QD2010
> program. Where the Find function used to do its search in the same
> field (e.g., Payee, Category, etc.) in which the cursor was located,
> it now searches in "All fields" irrespective of the cursor's
> position. Did an update make this change? If so, why?
>
> Tom Young

Apparently many people didn't understand that the search was for the field
the cursor was in and couldn't figure out how to change it. Yeah, I know,
pretty lame. Anyway, Quicken changed it so that all fields is the default
now, and you have to make an effort to change it, which then also erases
the search term you had alread entered. I wish there was a setting that
would make this a changeable option, either field-specific or all fields

Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
From: Steven E. Harris on
TomYoung <sombodee(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Did an update make this change?

Yes, I noticed this many months ago -- perhaps when moving to Quicken
2010. I'm so accustomed to putting the cursor in the field I want to
search, and starting the search there. Now, as you point out, there's no
utility in placing the cursor. Instead, you should retarget that effort
to quickly adjusting the search dialog's target field.

I say that, but my muscle memory persists, and with it comes the
surprise and frustration each time I do it again.

--
Steven E. Harris
From: John Pollard on
Steven E. Harris wrote:

> I say that, but my muscle memory persists, and with it comes the
> surprise and frustration each time I do it again.

In some situations, you may be better off leaving the Find criteria in the
(unwanted) default state, and using Find All instead of Find.

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: Steven E. Harris on
"John Pollard" <8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> writes:

> In some situations, you may be better off leaving the Find criteria in the
> (unwanted) default state, and using Find All instead of Find.

True. Sometimes I /know/ I'm looking for a particular "Memo" field
string that I want to use again, or for a particular "Payee" that's
fallen off the MRU list. In those cases, being able to type fewer
characters and not suffer the false positive matches against other
field values is important.

--
Steven E. Harris