From: Keith Snyder on
Q2010 uses file extension .DAT, but other programs, such as NERO use the
same extension. Apparently, Q2010 uses .DAT to log qfx, ofx updates. Other
programs grab .DAT as well, for example VideoLAN.

In XP Control Panel, Appearance and Themes, File Folder, what program should
be associated with Quicken's DAT file? Temporarily, I have removed program
associations.

From: Andrew on
Keith Snyder wrote:
> Q2010 uses file extension .DAT, but other programs, such as NERO use
> the same extension. Apparently, Q2010 uses .DAT to log qfx, ofx
> updates. Other programs grab .DAT as well, for example VideoLAN.
>
> In XP Control Panel, Appearance and Themes, File Folder, what program
> should be associated with Quicken's DAT file? Temporarily, I have
> removed program associations.

Keith - maybe I'm not following you, but why do you think you need to
associate '.dat' with any *Quicken* program? I think that those files are
used when you are executing the main Quicken executable (.exe) against a
main Q data file (*.qdf). What benefits, if any, associating a *.dat would
you derive via some form of Quicken association? It's not like you can
double click any of those to bring some program up, right??

Regards -

- Andrew

From: jslcr1 on
On Jul 26, 8:21 am, "Keith Snyder" <m...(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> Q2010 uses file extension .DAT, but other programs, such as NERO use the
> same extension. Apparently, Q2010 uses .DAT to log qfx, ofx updates. Other
> programs grab .DAT as well, for example VideoLAN.
>
> In XP Control Panel, Appearance and Themes, File Folder, what program should
> be associated with Quicken's DAT file? Temporarily, I have removed program
> associations.

You might want to take a look at this.
Since Q2010 Quicken merged a number of there files into one.

Changes to Quicken 2010 for Windows data file structure
Updated: 10/08/2009 | Article ID: 7497
http://quicken.intuit.com/support/articles/data-file-management/data/7497.html

They only .dat file that they use in Quicken for or in their program
is the Emergency Records program.
That file is called ERO.dat
From: Han on
"Keith Snyder" <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in

> Q2010 uses file extension .DAT, but other programs, such as NERO use
> the same extension. Apparently, Q2010 uses .DAT to log qfx, ofx
> updates. Other programs grab .DAT as well, for example VideoLAN.
>
> In XP Control Panel, Appearance and Themes, File Folder, what program
> should be associated with Quicken's DAT file? Temporarily, I have
> removed program associations.

The only dat files I have are log files. Q2010 merged all real datafiles
into 1 *.qdf file. Good thing that storage is cheap nowadays, with all the
backups I make.

--
Best regards
Han
From: John Pollard on
Han wrote:
> "Keith Snyder" <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in
>
>> Q2010 uses file extension .DAT, but other programs, such as NERO use
>> the same extension. Apparently, Q2010 uses .DAT to log qfx, ofx
>> updates. Other programs grab .DAT as well, for example VideoLAN.
>>
>> In XP Control Panel, Appearance and Themes, File Folder, what program
>> should be associated with Quicken's DAT file? Temporarily, I have
>> removed program associations.
>
> The only dat files I have are log files. Q2010 merged all real
> datafiles into 1 *.qdf file. Good thing that storage is cheap
> nowadays, with all the backups I make.

Quicken uses *lots* of .dat files; many in various folders in Documents
and Settings, others in Program files.

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help