From: Keith Snyder on

"Andrew" <andrew(a)jkl.com> wrote in message
> Keith Snyder wrote:
>> Q2010 uses file extension .DAT, but other programs, such as NERO use
>> the same extension. Apparently, Q2010 uses .DAT to log qfx, ofx
>> updates. Other programs grab .DAT as well, for example VideoLAN.
>>
>> In XP Control Panel, Appearance and Themes, File Folder, what program
>> should be associated with Quicken's DAT file? Temporarily, I have
>> removed program associations.
>
> Keith - maybe I'm not following you, but why do you think you need to
> associate '.dat' with any *Quicken* program? I think that those files are
> used when you are executing the main Quicken executable (.exe) against a
> main Q data file (*.qdf). What benefits, if any, associating a *.dat
> would you derive via some form of Quicken association? It's not like you
> can double click any of those to bring some program up, right??

I think you're right. It's just my fussiness.

Anyhow I did remove extension .dat from association with any program with no
apparent ill effect.

From: Andrew on
Keith Snyder wrote:
> "Andrew" <andrew(a)jkl.com> wrote in message
>> Keith Snyder wrote:
>>> Q2010 uses file extension .DAT, but other programs, such as NERO use
>>> the same extension. Apparently, Q2010 uses .DAT to log qfx, ofx
>>> updates. Other programs grab .DAT as well, for example VideoLAN.
>>>
>>> In XP Control Panel, Appearance and Themes, File Folder, what
>>> program should be associated with Quicken's DAT file? Temporarily,
>>> I have removed program associations.
>>
>> Keith - maybe I'm not following you, but why do you think you need to
>> associate '.dat' with any *Quicken* program? I think that those
>> files are used when you are executing the main Quicken executable
>> (.exe) against a main Q data file (*.qdf). What benefits, if any,
>> associating a *.dat would you derive via some form of Quicken
>> association? It's not like you can double click any of those to
>> bring some program up, right??
>
> I think you're right. It's just my fussiness.
>
> Anyhow I did remove extension .dat from association with any program
> with no apparent ill effect.

Admittedly, I think it is lame that many applications use the *.dat
extension...they ought to name that something meaningful regardless of what
it is for. After all, in a sense, ALL files that aren't executable are
*.dats!

However, perhaps there is some official (or unofficial but used by everyone)
that states that a *.dat file naming convention can be used by an app that
needs some data store for whatever reason somewhere, and this is a Windows
convention? Ergo, no association needed (or even desired). But each
program better beware of where these are stored for their own use. Probably
another Windows function that states such a file is created in some
directory, perhaps where the .exe is located, or a folder one level below or
something.

I don't know enough about Windows programming for this.

Regards -

- Andrew