From: gribbln on
Simple question. I have been overseas for nearly a year and wish to
"draw a line" under my previous bank account records and start again
for the next financial year. What is the best way to do this without
having to reconcile nearly 12 months of bank statements?
From: Han on
gribbln <neil.gribble(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:9b3f129a-1394-4dbb-b7ff-
657ac64df818(a)x24g2000pro.googlegroups.com:

> Simple question. I have been overseas for nearly a year and wish to
> "draw a line" under my previous bank account records and start again
> for the next financial year. What is the best way to do this without
> having to reconcile nearly 12 months of bank statements?

I'd say start with the balance on your last statement and add a "no amount
transaction" stating that you're starting from scratch.

--
Best regards
Han
From: Zaidy036 on
In article <Xns9DBE74D91BDDikkezelf(a)207.246.207.161>, nobody(a)nospam.not says...

> gribbln <neil.gribble(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:9b3f129a-1394-4dbb-b7ff-
> 657ac64df818(a)x24g2000pro.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Simple question. I have been overseas for nearly a year and wish to
> > "draw a line" under my previous bank account records and start again
> > for the next financial year. What is the best way to do this without
> > having to reconcile nearly 12 months of bank statements?
> >

> I'd say start with the balance on your last statement and add a "no amount
> transaction" stating that you're starting from scratch.

1. backup your file
2. reconcile to the LAST statement only
3. if you are without error all is ok
4. if with error you cannot solve add adjustment with a memo note
5. resume normal use.

From: gribbln on
On Jul 24, 4:19 am, Zaidy036 <Zaidy036NOS...(a)optonline.net> wrote:
> In article <Xns9DBE74D91BDDikkez...(a)207.246.207.161>, nob...(a)nospam.not says...
>

> >gribbln<neil.grib...(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:9b3f129a-1394-4dbb-b7ff-
> > 657ac64df...(a)x24g2000pro.googlegroups.com:
>
> > > Simple question. I have been overseas for nearly a year and wish to
> > > "draw a line" under my previous bank account records and start again
> > > for the next financial year. What is the best way to do this without
> > > having to reconcile nearly 12 months of bank statements?
>
> > I'd say start with the balance on your last statement and add a "no amount
> > transaction" stating that you're starting from scratch.
>
> 1. backup your file
> 2. reconcile to the LAST statement only
> 3. if you are without error all is ok
> 4. if with error you cannot solve add adjustment with a memo note
> 5. resume normal use.

Thanks to both for advice. Yes, that does work; the devil is in the
detail of the "add adjustment" suggestion but after a bit of fiddling
I was able to start a fresh financial year. The interconnections
between accounts (and saved "favorite" reports) only become obvious
when you start this process!