From: jl on
Yesterday, I started getting a fatal error when I open Eudora 7.0.1.0.

The first error box to come up reads "A buffer overflow has been
detected in Eudora. Information is being written to
EudoraCrashDump.dmp" - then a second (larger) window comes up and says
"A buffer overflow has been detected in Eudora. In rare cases a buffer
overflow could be exploited to compromise the security of your computer
if you allow Eudora to continue to run...Quit Eudora now?"

Well, the program leaves me no choice. It always exits and cannot be
used. I do notice that the In Box opens up and the far left column
(status) is full of question marks.

What to do??

From: jl on

p.s., I tried deleting the In box and In TOC, replacing it with backup
001 (saved two days earlier, has visually correct status column - no
qstn marks) with no luck. Tried *reinstalling* Eudora 7.0.1.0 and using
IN/TOC backups 002 - but I'm still getting the same error message.

From: jeffk on
Do a separate installation of eudora to a new directory--call it
d:\eudora-test or something.
Then using Windows Explorer, navigate to that directory and start
eudora.exe by double-clicking on it. If that opens without a problem,
then close eudora, create a new data directory called e:\eudora-data
and create a shortcut with a command line
d:\eudora-test e:\eudora-data.
Run the shortcut. If that works OK, then close eudora and start
copying your data files, one by one, to e:\eudora-data, and open eudora
using the shortcut after each file is copied. Details on what to copy
are here:
http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showthread.php?t=4070
Eventually you will either find the file that caused the problem, or
you will have copied all your data files and you can now use the new
eudora installation.

From: jl on
Thanks Jeff. I replaced everything step-by-step and now Eudora is
working OK again. Looks like the original IN mailbox was causing the
troubles.

From: Katrina Knight on
jl(a)jps.net wrote:
> Thanks Jeff. I replaced everything step-by-step and now Eudora is
> working OK again. Looks like the original IN mailbox was causing the
> troubles.

Most likely you got a bad message, quite possibly one that was
intentionally malicious. If this ever happens again, try editing
eudora.ini to turn off the preview pane. (The setting is
MailboxPreviewPane=0) If that prevents the buffer overflow from happening,
you can then look at the messages that are there and delete any that look
like spam or viruses. There's a good chance that doing that then emptying
the trash will get rid of the problem.

--
Katrina

Pages: 1