From: flipspam on
What would the best way to correct this problem.

When I click the icon for Eudora I get the following error..

Could not open the file C:/program
files/Qualcomm/Eudora/LinkHistory.dat for reading

Cause: Access permission denied. File may be marked as read only or
locked (13)

I have set up a different Eudora directory to run and get new mail,
however this leaves me unable to access the history.

I have tried to remove the LinkHistory.dat file, but it is blocked
from changes. How can I unblock it?

What is the simplest way to retrieve my old emails?

Thanks!

Phil
From: Han on
flipspam(a)spamco.ca wrote in news:jtuc72diek1i3bak5uenr9hsev7o9avn6n@
4ax.com:

> What would the best way to correct this problem.
>
> When I click the icon for Eudora I get the following error..
>
> Could not open the file C:/program
> files/Qualcomm/Eudora/LinkHistory.dat for reading
>
> Cause: Access permission denied. File may be marked as read only or
> locked (13)
>
> I have set up a different Eudora directory to run and get new mail,
> however this leaves me unable to access the history.
>
> I have tried to remove the LinkHistory.dat file, but it is blocked
> from changes. How can I unblock it?
>
> What is the simplest way to retrieve my old emails?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Phil

It is a simple text file, despite the windows protected .dat extension.
You can open it with Notepad. Rightclick and choose open with. Ignore
the warnings and choose notepad as the program to open it with.

You'll get something like:
6 1148599120 6

http://ajpcell.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/00242.2006v1?ct

1147946441 1147946441 1 40
---end

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/002094.html?tk=nl_wbxnws

1148346727 1148346727 1 40
---end

http://c.specials4geekmail.com/maaeNCwabqxSabr1vq6eaeQCLx/

1147552285 1147552285 1 40
---end

--
Best regards
Han
From: Han on
Oops I forgot to add the last line: see below <grin>.

Han <nobody(a)nospam.not> wrote in news:Xns97CF45BE0D103ikkezelf@
199.45.49.11:

> flipspam(a)spamco.ca wrote in news:jtuc72diek1i3bak5uenr9hsev7o9avn6n@
> 4ax.com:
>
>> What would the best way to correct this problem.
>>
>> When I click the icon for Eudora I get the following error..
>>
>> Could not open the file C:/program
>> files/Qualcomm/Eudora/LinkHistory.dat for reading
>>
>> Cause: Access permission denied. File may be marked as read only or
>> locked (13)
>>
>> I have set up a different Eudora directory to run and get new mail,
>> however this leaves me unable to access the history.
>>
>> I have tried to remove the LinkHistory.dat file, but it is blocked
>> from changes. How can I unblock it?
>>
>> What is the simplest way to retrieve my old emails?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Phil
>>
> It is a simple text file, despite the windows protected .dat extension.
> You can open it with Notepad. Rightclick and choose open with. Ignore
> the warnings and choose notepad as the program to open it with.
>
> You'll get something like:
> 6 1148599120 6
>
> http://ajpcell.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/00242.2006v1?ct
>

> 1147946441 1147946441 1 40
> ---end
>
> http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/002094.html?tk=nl_wbxnws
>

> 1148346727 1148346727 1 40
> ---end
>
> http://c.specials4geekmail.com/maaeNCwabqxSabr1vq6eaeQCLx/
>

> 1147552285 1147552285 1 40
> ---end

You can rename the file or delete it (with Eudora *NOT* running), and you
should be all set.

--
Best regards
Han
From: Katrina Knight on
flipspam(a)spamco.ca wrote:
> When I click the icon for Eudora I get the following error..

> Could not open the file C:/program
> files/Qualcomm/Eudora/LinkHistory.dat for reading

> Cause: Access permission denied. File may be marked as read only or
> locked (13)

Assuming that the file isn't actually marked read only, the most common
reason for a problem of this type would be that you've recently used
Eudora when logged into Windows as a different user and the permissions
got messed up. The other common cause of errors of this sort is hard drive
corruption causing that particular file to be unopenable by Windows. The
fix for the latter is to run a disk-checking utility and let it fix
whatever problems it finds. (Making a backup of important files before
doing that is a good idea.)

> I have tried to remove the LinkHistory.dat file, but it is blocked
> from changes. How can I unblock it?

That fits with either permissions problems or corruption.

> What is the simplest way to retrieve my old emails?

You want to keep using your new data directory but have the old
mailboxes in it too? Just move the files to your new data directory. If
there are new mailboxes with the same names in the new location, you'll
have to either put the new mailboxes in a folder (make the folder in
Eudora before moving them) or give the files new, non-conflicting names
when you copy them. Each mailbox has two files - one mbx file and one toc
file. You need to copy both of them, and if you rename them, they need to
match each other.

--
Katrina

From: flipspam on
I can't rename it, can't delete it and can't move it. Access is denied
in all cases. I have checked in Wintasks and see no reason to believe
Eudora is running in the backgreound and preventing me from changing
the file.

Phil

On Fri, 26 May 2006 10:53:03 GMT, Han <nobody(a)nospam.not> wrote:

>Oops I forgot to add the last line: see below <grin>.
>
>Han <nobody(a)nospam.not> wrote in news:Xns97CF45BE0D103ikkezelf@
>199.45.49.11:
>
>> flipspam(a)spamco.ca wrote in news:jtuc72diek1i3bak5uenr9hsev7o9avn6n@
>> 4ax.com:
>>
>>> What would the best way to correct this problem.
>>>
>>> When I click the icon for Eudora I get the following error..
>>>
>>> Could not open the file C:/program
>>> files/Qualcomm/Eudora/LinkHistory.dat for reading
>>>
>>> Cause: Access permission denied. File may be marked as read only or
>>> locked (13)
>>>
>>> I have set up a different Eudora directory to run and get new mail,
>>> however this leaves me unable to access the history.
>>>
>>> I have tried to remove the LinkHistory.dat file, but it is blocked
>>> from changes. How can I unblock it?
>>>
>>> What is the simplest way to retrieve my old emails?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Phil
>>>
>> It is a simple text file, despite the windows protected .dat extension.
>> You can open it with Notepad. Rightclick and choose open with. Ignore
>> the warnings and choose notepad as the program to open it with.
>>
>> You'll get something like:
>> 6 1148599120 6
>>
>> http://ajpcell.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/00242.2006v1?ct
>>

>> 1147946441 1147946441 1 40
>> ---end
>>
>> http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/002094.html?tk=nl_wbxnws
>>

>> 1148346727 1148346727 1 40
>> ---end
>>
>> http://c.specials4geekmail.com/maaeNCwabqxSabr1vq6eaeQCLx/
>>

>> 1147552285 1147552285 1 40
>> ---end
>>
>You can rename the file or delete it (with Eudora *NOT* running), and you
>should be all set.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: "Buffer Overflow" in Eudora 7