From: Arthur Entlich on

mickey wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 06:17:31 -0800, DManzaluni
> <dmanzaluni(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 19, 5:27 pm, mickey <mice...(a)somewhere.com> wrote:

>>> anyone on
>>> support?

>>> ever

>>> guess

>>> postscript /

>>> No disagreement with HP's customer service, it has always been their
>>> Achilles heel
>>
>> This was my question: Do they actually have any customer service or is
>> it all handled by technical support refusing to assist when something
>> goes so obviously wrong? Is there some trick to calling them?

>> But not if they do have customer service.
>
> Like so many other Co's today, they farmed out their "customer Service"
> years ago. Also they have been out of the medical business for more
> than a decade. IMO today's HP is in name only. Bill, Dave, the
> principles and company they created are long dead.
>
> Mickey

Except for Walter Hewlett, who might not be an innovator engineer, but
always struck me as a decent guy trying to maintain the company culture.
Of course, Carly (now running for some Republican position or another)
Fiorina, decided Walter was her enemy, and she helped to tank the
company. Meanwhile Walter ended up at Agilent, a spin off from HP. While
HP has recovered financially since Carly was "asked to leave" (fired)
and given her golden parachute in 2005, the company culture, IMHO, has
been destroyed. Like yourself, I see HP today like so many others,
Memorex, Polaroid, to name a few, who are more a trademark and brand
than a company inventing new ideas and products.

I don't know that HP will ever be able to reclaim their place as a top
American company with quality and integrity as their principle methods.

In general, Carly has left a lot of bodies in her wake, Bell's Lucent
Technologies is a mere memory, HP is walking wounded, and John McCain,
much to my personal relief, fell on his sword with her help. She is now
running for Senate, and I suspect (and hope) her curse continues to
haunt her. She certainly has worsened the lives of enough workers and
investors over the years. She gives the good talk, but never seemed to
match it with her walk.

Art
From: Arthur Entlich on

DManzaluni wrote:
> On Feb 21, 10:26 am, mickey <mice...(a)somewhere.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 06:17:31 -0800, DManzaluni <dmanzal...(a)googlemail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> This was my question: Do they actually have any customer service or is
>>> it all handled by technical support refusing to assist when something
>>> goes so obviously wrong? Is there some trick to calling them?
>>
>>> But not if they do have customer service.
>> Like so many other Co's today, they farmed out their "customer Service"
>> years ago. Also they have been out of the medical business for more than
>> a decade. IMO today's HP is in name only. Bill, Dave, the principles and
>> company they created are long dead.
>>
>> Mickey
>
> Instead of sending me a printer which does actually work they have
> offered to give me my money back: They DO seem quite keen that I dont
> buy another HP printer. Should I take them up on it and be done with
> them?

Some years ago, I read an article, and if I am not mistaken HP was one
of the companies mentioned which had gone to a new and popular
philosophy regarding customer complains. Some "genius" consultants
determined that certain clients were more costly than the income they
generated for a company, in fact, they basically lost the company money.

So, this consultant decided to train companies in how to recognize these
customers who would never be satisfied and would just become a lost
cause to them. The consultant suggested that rather than sinking money
into customer service, and assorted other costs in trying to fix the
problem, companies should do whatever they could to have the customer
not only no longer use that companies products, but actually to use this
to the company's advantage by leading the difficult client to the
company's competitors, so they could also lose money.

There is, however, one flaw in this logic. Often, the reason this
client became "difficult" and ultimately costly to the company, is
because the company made bad into worse, by not listening to the client,
not correcting the defects in the product or service, and by becoming
intransigent about not doing the right thing.

This client often became not a burden to their competitors, but, if
treated reasonably, a cheerleader for their competitor and a major
detractor to the original company.

Personally, HP (particularly their camera and scanner division) and
Nikon, to a lesser extent, both of which I used to comfortably support
and speak well of, left me annoyed and feeling disrespected. I moved to
Canon and Polaroid at the time (before they went into bankruptcy) and
found both companies a lot less arrogant.

Epson is yet another company which I have been left quite disappointed
in, which I used to be quite pleased with.

Very few companies are black or white, but they do show different
degrees of grey. I think when we speak with our wallets we tell these
companies what our values are and what our expectations are.

Since corporations are monolithic and non-human institutions, they often
only respond to the bottom line, so that is often the only way to make
your opinion known.

Art

Is there a Canon which does photos as well as the HPs at the
> moment please? I was looking into it a few years ago but found that
> the Canons didnt have enough colours in their (admittedly separate and
> less expensive) cartridges to do photos which were as good as the best
> of the HPs with their plethora of colours. Now I find that printing
> seems to have moved on a bit and the printer companies seem to make do
> with fewer colours along possibly with a photo black.

Canon had the right idea because in theory, if the dot size is small
enough, only 4 colors are really required. More colors lead to more ink
use and waste, and that is probably as much or more the driver than any
possible improvement to the image.

> Is this game not worth the candle? Is this a company which empahsises
> all-in-ones now where the individual parts dont do the job as well as
> (for example) having a separate scanner, and printer?
>
> Back then, Canon was pretty successfully playing catch up on photo
> quality with HP still ahead. Has time moved on and Canon surpassed HP
> and is HP concentrating their supposed talents elsewhere?

Canon spent a fortune on redesigning their heads and printer mechanics,
and did a good job of it. They aren't great for inks which aren't dye
colorant based, still. They do have a few pigment colorant inkset,
however. When the heads do fail, the cost is not cheap to replace them.

Art
From: mickey on
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 03:20:26 -0800, Arthur Entlich
<e-printerhelp(a)mvps.org> wrote:

> mickey wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 06:17:31 -0800, DManzaluni
>> <dmanzaluni(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> This was my question: Do they actually have any customer service or is
>>> it all handled by technical support refusing to assist when something
>>> goes so obviously wrong? Is there some trick to calling them?

>>> But not if they do have customer service.
>> Like so many other Co's today, they farmed out their "customer
>> Service" years ago. Also they have been out of the medical business
>> for more than a decade. IMO today's HP is in name only. Bill, Dave,
>> the principles and company they created are long dead.
>> Mickey
>

> Except for Walter Hewlett, who might not be an innovator engineer, but
> always struck me as a decent guy trying to maintain the company culture.
> Of course, Carly (now running for some Republican position or another)
> Fiorina, decided Walter was her enemy, and she helped to tank the
> company. Meanwhile Walter ended up at Agilent, a spin off from HP. While
> HP has recovered financially since Carly was "asked to leave" (fired)
> and given her golden parachute in 2005, the company culture, IMHO, has
> been destroyed. Like yourself, I see HP today like so many others,
> Memorex, Polaroid, to name a few, who are more a trademark and brand
> than a company inventing new ideas and products.
>
> I don't know that HP will ever be able to reclaim their place as a top
> American company with quality and integrity as their principle methods.
>
> In general, Carly has left a lot of bodies in her wake, Bell's Lucent
> Technologies is a mere memory, HP is walking wounded, and John McCain,
> much to my personal relief, fell on his sword with her help. She is now
> running for Senate, and I suspect (and hope) her curse continues to
> haunt her. She certainly has worsened the lives of enough workers and
> investors over the years. She gives the good talk, but never seemed to
> match it with her walk.
>
> Art

You're being far too kind to Carly.

Bill & Dave would never except the company as being a me-too operation but
today, that is more than acceptable if it helps the bottom line. IMO it
would be hard to find an employee that would take much pride in working
for HP today. Many thousands of employees and former employees have lot
many millions of $$$ due to the management by Carly and now the current
CEO. A large portions of the fringe benefit package that had been in
place for many years has all been taken away.

It is a sad day that the company that once was one of the best manages
companies in the country and who recognized their employees as one of
their best assets to the poor position they find themselves today. I
doubt you could find HP's name listed in the top 100 best managed
companies and another survey of best company to work for. When I was
there they always were found in the top 2-3.

Mickey
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Bill, Dave, the principles and company they created are long
> dead.

Wouldn't it be more correct to say that Bill and Dave's company is now
known as "Agilent"?

I'm not sure how much of a role Bill and Dave still had in the
business by the time HP diversified into computers and printers.

William
From: DManzaluni on
OK I get the message, dump Hewlett Packard, issue in Small Claims for
the trouble they have caused and switch manufacturer

Problem is, what on earth to buy instead? The Canon PIXMA IP4700 (and
similar Lexmark which has only half the DPI) only get very lukewarm
reviews everywhere in sight while the 7560 (which apparently only
PRETENDS to be wireless) is seem by the reviewers as producing photos
of "near professional quality" compared with pharmacy-produced photos.
It seems to be the only one which isnt described as 'great for a
budget printer'

Has any site done any genuine comparative reviews of the photo quality
of the best printers out there? I dont need larger format than 8x10
and I emphatically dont want yet another all-in-one to go with my
humongous Canon ImageClass 8180c which dominates my office so the
Kodak seems to be out.

Or is there now really no difference in picture quality between all
these budget printers and supposedly 'professional' ones?