From: DManzaluni on
On Feb 19, 5:27 pm, mickey <mice...(a)somewhere.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 09:47:09 -0800, Martin Trautmann <t-use...(a)gmx.net>
> wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 09:13:08 -0800 (PST), DManzaluni wrote:
> >>  Does anyone know if it is possible to actually get though to anyone on
> >>  this sort of problem or have they discontinued their customer support?
>
> > No, stay away from HP. They do build some great products. But never ever
> > expect that they will fix anything which is broken for newer OS
> > versions.
>
> > I had the same experience already with the first inkjet printer they
> > built (HP Deskwriter) - the printer driver did consume every possible
> > bit of available memory for its queue after the OS was upgraded. I guess
> > this was about MacOS 7.5 or 7.6. The problem was well known but never
> > got fixed.
>
> > The only HP printers to recommend are network printers with postscript /
> > pcl - the risk of incompatibility is much lower then, even if the
> > support of grayscale or images may be less than perfect.
>
> > - Martin
>
> No disagreement with HP's customer service, it has always been their
> Achilles heel

This was my question: Do they actually have any customer service or is
it all handled by technical support refusing to assist when something
goes so obviously wrong? Is there some trick to calling them?

If they think they have saved money by doing away with their customer
service, do they have any office whatsoever in New York for a small
claims action? Any local sales office, training office, PR office,
medical device office etc etc etc please? I figure that issuing in
small claims is a faster way of getting a resolution than spending
endless hours on the phone with a company which acts like this.
Instead of going through this ridiculous charade with their tech
support people going off to get a coffee to see if the customer has
got sick of waiting yet, just tramp down to some local arbitrator to
see if he agrees that they should be able to charge me for a printer
and then charge me again for a printer which works. Then if I can
present it in an amusing enough way to some local newspaper, it should
be possible to get a newspaper to pay me for the article? I am a
freelance journalist and I can see some possibilities here. New York
media love punchy headlines and those possibilities are endless (I'm
sure we all remember what "headless body found in topless bar" was
really all about!). That way I come out of this episode with a profit
for having been made to 'wait' endlessly for 'hours' on the phone
while HP tries to get rid of me. And then be obviously lied to about
a call-back when they wouldn't pass me on to a supervisor

But not if they do have customer service.
From: Bennett Price on
On 2/20/2010 6:17 AM, DManzaluni wrote:

> This was my question: Do they actually have any customer service or is
> it all handled by technical support refusing to assist when something
> goes so obviously wrong? Is there some trick to calling them?
>
> If they think they have saved money by doing away with their customer
> service, do they have any office whatsoever in New York for a small
> claims action? Any local sales office, training office, PR office,
> medical device office etc etc etc please? I figure that issuing in
> small claims is a faster way of getting a resolution than spending
> endless hours on the phone with a company which acts like this.
> Instead of going through this ridiculous charade with their tech
> support people going off to get a coffee to see if the customer has
> got sick of waiting yet, just tramp down to some local arbitrator to
> see if he agrees that they should be able to charge me for a printer
> and then charge me again for a printer which works. Then if I can
> present it in an amusing enough way to some local newspaper, it should
> be possible to get a newspaper to pay me for the article? I am a
> freelance journalist and I can see some possibilities here. New York
> media love punchy headlines and those possibilities are endless (I'm
> sure we all remember what "headless body found in topless bar" was
> really all about!). That way I come out of this episode with a profit
> for having been made to 'wait' endlessly for 'hours' on the phone
> while HP tries to get rid of me. And then be obviously lied to about
> a call-back when they wouldn't pass me on to a supervisor
>

> But not if they do have customer service.

Try writing to christina(a)tynanwood.com who runs the Infoworld Gripe
Line http://www.infoworld.com/blogs/christina-wood

From: mickey on
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 06:17:31 -0800, DManzaluni <dmanzaluni(a)googlemail.com>
wrote:

> On Feb 19, 5:27 pm, mickey <mice...(a)somewhere.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 09:47:09 -0800, Martin Trautmann <t-use...(a)gmx.net>
>> wrote:

>> on
>> support?
>>
>> > No, stay away from HP. They do build some great products. But never
>> ever
>> > expect that they will fix anything which is broken for newer OS
>> > versions.
>>
>> > I had the same experience already with the first inkjet printer they
>> > built (HP Deskwriter) - the printer driver did consume every possible
>> > bit of available memory for its queue after the OS was upgraded. I
>> guess
>> > this was about MacOS 7.5 or 7.6. The problem was well known but never
>> > got fixed.
>>
>> > The only HP printers to recommend are network printers with
>> postscript /
>> > pcl - the risk of incompatibility is much lower then, even if the
>> > support of grayscale or images may be less than perfect.
>>
>> > - Martin
>>
>> No disagreement with HP's customer service, it has always been their
>> Achilles heel
>
> This was my question: Do they actually have any customer service or is
> it all handled by technical support refusing to assist when something
> goes so obviously wrong? Is there some trick to calling them?

> But not if they do have customer service.

Like so many other Co's today, they farmed out their "customer Service"
years ago. Also they have been out of the medical business for more than
a decade. IMO today's HP is in name only. Bill, Dave, the principles and
company they created are long dead.

Mickey
From: DManzaluni on
On Feb 21, 10:26 am, mickey <mice...(a)somewhere.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 06:17:31 -0800, DManzaluni <dmanzal...(a)googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 19, 5:27 pm, mickey <mice...(a)somewhere.com> wrote:

> >> on
> >> support?

> >> ever

> >> guess

> >> postscript /

> >> No disagreement with HP's customer service, it has always been their
> >> Achilles heel
>
> > This was my question: Do they actually have any customer service or is
> > it all handled by technical support refusing to assist when something
> > goes so obviously wrong?  Is there some trick to calling them?

> > But not if they do have customer service.
>
> Like so many other Co's today, they farmed out their "customer Service"
> years ago.  Also they have been out of the medical business for more than
> a decade.  IMO today's HP is in name only.  Bill, Dave, the principles and
> company they created are long dead.
>
> Mickey

Instead of sending me a printer which does actually work they have
offered to give me my money back: They DO seem quite keen that I dont
buy another HP printer. Should I take them up on it and be done with
them? Is there a Canon which does photos as well as the HPs at the
moment please? I was looking into it a few years ago but found that
the Canons didnt have enough colours in their (admittedly separate and
less expensive) cartridges to do photos which were as good as the best
of the HPs with their plethora of colours. Now I find that printing
seems to have moved on a bit and the printer companies seem to make do
with fewer colours along possibly with a photo black.

Is this game not worth the candle? Is this a company which empahsises
all-in-ones now where the individual parts dont do the job as well as
(for example) having a separate scanner, and printer?

Back then, Canon was pretty successfully playing catch up on photo
quality with HP still ahead. Has time moved on and Canon surpassed HP
and is HP concentrating their supposed talents elsewhere?
From: mickey on
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 19:06:37 -0800, DManzaluni <dmanzaluni(a)googlemail.com>
wrote:

> Instead of sending me a printer which does actually work they have
> offered to give me my money back: They DO seem quite keen that I dont
> buy another HP printer. Should I take them up on it and be done with
> them? Is there a Canon which does photos as well as the HPs at the
> moment please? I was looking into it a few years ago but found that
> the Canons didnt have enough colours in their (admittedly separate and
> less expensive) cartridges to do photos which were as good as the best
> of the HPs with their plethora of colours. Now I find that printing
> seems to have moved on a bit and the printer companies seem to make do
> with fewer colours along possibly with a photo black.
>
> Is this game not worth the candle? Is this a company which empahsises
> all-in-ones now where the individual parts dont do the job as well as
> (for example) having a separate scanner, and printer?
>
> Back then, Canon was pretty successfully playing catch up on photo
> quality with HP still ahead. Has time moved on and Canon surpassed HP
> and is HP concentrating their supposed talents elsewhere?

Since you are not happy now, I'd just go for the money returned.

I went with Canon 4-5 yrs ago and at that time HP didn't have any printer
I knew of that could offer the qlty of picture prints that my Canon can.

Mickey