From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on

> Can anyone explain this behavior?

Yes, thank you. And you can be among our number when you read about
filesystem tunelling. MSKB 172190 is your friend.

From: Alexander Grigoriev on
Monsieur de Boyne Pollard,

If you bother to add more newsgroups to the original post, is it too much to
ask to quote more of the original question, so your posting could be a bit
more than noise?

"Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups(a)NTLWorld.COM> wrote
in message

From: Woody on
On Mar 12, 6:30 am, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-
newsgro...(a)NTLWorld.COM> wrote:
>  And you can be among our number when you read about
> filesystem tunelling.  MSKB 172190 is your friend.

OK, I read the KB article, and I understand why I get the behavior I
observed (my tests only waited for 10 sec!). But now I need to fix it
so my pgm works as one would expect from reading the C runtime library
docs.

The article tells how to disable file tunneling, but presumably this
is useful in some situations, or it wouldn't have been implemented in
the first place. Is there a way to disable it programatically, from C+
+?

From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on

>> And you can be among our number when you read about filesystem
>> tunnelling. MSKB 172190 is your friend.
>>
> OK, I read the KB article, and I understand why I get the behavior I
> observed (my tests only waited for 10 sec!). But now I need to fix it
> so my pgm works as one would expect from reading the C runtime library
> docs.

Yes, a "mere" 10 seconds. (-:

> The article tells how to disable file tunneling, but presumably this
> is useful in some situations, or it wouldn't have been implemented in
> the first place. Is there a way to disable it programatically, from C++?

I was hoping that someone else would pick this up. But they haven't. I
know of no such way. Filsystem tunnelling is implemented at the FSD
level, and the Native API has no magic switches for it, as far as I am
aware. This is in the class of annoying "helpfulness" features that one
cannot turn off when one isn't actually requiring the backwards
compatibility that they are aimed at.

From: Alf P. Steinbach on
* Jonathan de Boyne Pollard:

<url: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172190>

> and I understand why I get the behavior I
>> observed (my tests only waited for 10 sec!). But now I need to fix it
>> so my pgm works as one would expect from reading the C runtime library
>> docs.
>>
> Yes, a "mere" 10 seconds. (-:
>
>> The article tells how to disable file tunneling, but presumably this
>> is useful in some situations, or it wouldn't have been implemented in
>> the first place. Is there a way to disable it programatically, from C++?
>>
> I was hoping that someone else would pick this up. But they haven't. I
> know of no such way. Filsystem tunnelling is implemented at the FSD
> level, and the Native API has no magic switches for it, as far as I am
> aware. This is in the class of annoying "helpfulness" features that one
> cannot turn off when one isn't actually requiring the backwards
> compatibility that they are aimed at.

Perhaps it helps to set the creation timestamp explicitly (if possible).

Cheers,

- Alf