From: Cliff on
On Mon, 17 May 2010 11:25:17 -0400, "Existential Angst"
<UNfitcat(a)UNoptonline.net> wrote:

>In "art" type design, like, say, for a new car body, certainly CAD could be
>useful, as a simple curvature of a line can alter the visual effect in auto
>design..
>But this is more of an "illustrating" context than say a parts/machining
>context.

The Space Shuttle's main engines were designed using
CADDS III ....

BTW, For old-timers ...
http://www.linkedin.com/groupAnswers?viewQuestionAndAnswers=&discussionID=13473784&gid=2643179&commentID=16421053&trk=view_disc

--
Cliff
From: Cliff on
On Mon, 17 May 2010 11:25:17 -0400, "Existential Angst"
<UNfitcat(a)UNoptonline.net> wrote:

>Ito of the actual function/design of mechanical parts, has anyone actually
>solved a "design problem" using CAD?

Did you consider that a surface is the result of an "equation"
and that surface intersections can be found?
Not to mention all the number crunching ... and error
prevention/detection.
--
Cliff
From: Cliff on

http://bugman123.com/MinimalSurfaces/Costa-large.jpg
http://bugman123.com/MinimalSurfaces/Scherk-Collins-large.jpg

http://www.instructables.com/image/FYGJWT8R83EVYDZTU9/Minimal-Surfaces-With-Metal-Shapes-and-Soap-Bubble.jpg
http://www.indiana.edu/~minimal/gallery/index/index.html

http://www.freigeist.cc/gallery.html

From: Jim Wilkins on
On May 17, 9:28 pm, Kirk Gordon <k...(a)gordon-eng2.com> wrote:
>  ...My wife laughed out
> loud.  "You can always tell the engineers in any crowd," she said.
> "They can't talk or think without a pen or pencil."
> KG

The interesting case is someone who thinks multidimensionally and has
artistic ability but no training in drafting. Isometric pencil drawing
is also a learned skill, especially foreshortened curves. You see the
same distraction and frustration when they try to sketch lets say a
rocking chair they are making.

My favorite CAD exercise is drawing a bolt, with realistic vee threads
and chamfered edges on the head. My best time is 2 minutes.

jsw
From: Cliff on
On Mon, 17 May 2010 14:52:08 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins <kb1dal(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On May 17, 1:26�pm, "Existential Angst" <UNfit...(a)UNoptonline.net>
>wrote:
>> "Jim Wilkins" <kb1...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_element_method
>>
>> Funny, how calculus (the integral) is in fact the result of FEM, in the
>> limit as x --> 0, but done analytically (power rules and all that). �FEM is
>> kinda like calculus in reverse, when analytic solutions are not possible.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt6Q_pVxwl0
>>
>> Nice. �But I would distinguish CAD from this type of analysis/animation
>> program.
>> --
>> EA
>>
>> jsw
>
>Take that sample truss and adjust the element dimensions until all
>areas are the same color under load.

Why not just solve a fairly simple problem in Mechanics ?

--
Cliff