From: Cliff on
On Tue, 18 May 2010 17:01:13 -0700 (PDT), cncmillgil <milgil(a)cin.net> wrote:

>Industrial Engineers usually come up with the concept design for a
>product.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_engineering
[
Industrial Engineering (often now supplemented as "Industrial & Systems
Engineering" or "Industrial & Operations Engineering") is a branch of
engineering dealing with optimizing complex processes or systems. It is
concerned with the development, improvement, implementation and evaluation of
integrated systems of people, money, knowledge, information, equipment, energy,
materials and/or processes .....
]

From: Cliff on
On Tue, 18 May 2010 17:01:13 -0700 (PDT), cncmillgil <milgil(a)cin.net> wrote:

>The look, shape "feel" of the part with direction from the
>all mighty "Marketing people".

You should see what anautomotive engine cover might look
like as esigned/sketched bythe "stylist" in charge ... then compare
with what will actually fit under the hood over the engine & it's bits <G>.
Without excessivly denting the (we got it closed, eight?) hood if you rev the
engine ...
--
Cliff
From: Cliff on
On Tue, 18 May 2010 17:01:13 -0700 (PDT), cncmillgil <milgil(a)cin.net> wrote:

>Most all solid modelers are "napkin sketchers"
> Paint type programs are ok just to convey idea's but eventually it
>should go to a CAD system. So why not skip that time used in Paint
>Brush or Paint Shop Pro & go right to CAD modeling?

What runs on the "designer"s" Apple?
--
Cliff
From: Existential Angst on
"Cliff" <Clhuprichguesswhat(a)aoltmovetheperiodc.om> wrote in message
> On Tue, 18 May 2010 10:12:38 -0400, "Existential Angst"
> <UNfitcat(a)UNoptonline.net> wrote:
>
>>"Cliff" <Clhuprichguesswhat(a)aoltmovetheperiodc.om> wrote in message

>>> Why not just solve a fairly simple problem in Mechanics ?
>>
>>Because "redundancies" in structural mechanics render a simple looking
>>problem not so simple, in fact unsolvable analytically (at least with
>>traditional analytic methods), thus requiring numeric methods. Ergo the
>>finite element analysis et al in that wiki link.
>
> The statemnt was until all areas are the same color under load"
> which implies similar stresses.
> What safety factors to use?
> Which failure modes to account for?
> As far as the specific issue goes it's still just simple Mechanics
> IIRC & AFAIK.
> Slide-rule stuff <g>.

Except it isn't.
Once you introduce redundancies, it's not that Newton's laws no longer
apply, it's that it's no long clear on what to apply them and when.

One of the first projects in a structural mechanics course I took was
exactly this, a very simple model of two poles with a cross brace, subjected
to some torsion. Done with Hollerith cards... goodgawd...

Don't recall the exact how's and why's, but the bottom line was that that
simple model could not be solved analytically.
Ergo the iteration/numerical analysis.

Other "simple" problems have either very complicated solutions the make
numerical analysis more efficacious, or solutions with unsolvable
(non-integratable) functions, like elliptic integrals. The three-body
problem is one example.

Heat conduction and fluid mechanics problems other broad classes of problems
that rarely have analytic solutions, even though they are glibly described
by div, grad, curl and all that (the actual title of an iconic advanced
calculus book by Schey).

Some people *think* their solutions are analytical, not realizing that the
tables they are looking up answers in are the result of numerical analysis,
tabulated visavis initial and boundary conditions.
Other tables will be tabulations of analytical results, so there's no way to
really tell, unless you know the "infrastructure" of the problem.

Redundancies in structural mechanics are apparently similar.

Funny, trig functions are a kind of hybrid.
Even tho they are expressed in an elegant shorthand, ultimately they are
ground out by N number of terms of an infinite series, terminated according
to one's need for precision. Ditto e, pi, etc.
So even some theoretical type stuff winds up being numerical, to some
degree.

What a messy universe....
--
EA